What's the HOT Zoa for 2024?

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I could have used softer language, and I agree about acros as well. I think I just wanted to comment on this as a lot of people new to the hobby get scammed in this way.

Also I've seen pink and gold palys, rastas, various palys, standard fire and ice zoas, and quite a few other of the very common zoas in the hobby that are known to shift in to 5 or 6 different visual appearances especially in overwhelminging blue light named a baker's dozen different things each based on miniscule variations associated with the conditions in which they're being grown.

I want it to be clear that there ABSOLUTELY are interesting zoas out there that are absolutely their own thing and it's totally reasonable to like them. I just also wanted to post a little psa for new reefers that stumble upon threads like this.

You are totally correct, I guess I was just looking for that additional nuance in your initial post.

Fact is there are vendors looking to take advantage of new reefers, especially online where you're not provided any frame of reference in regard to actual color.

Further, you touched on something I've often commented on in this forum. There are essentially 'name buckets' that zoas can go into simply because we don't need 100 names based on superficial differences for what's basically a 'fire and ice' or a 'pink and gold.' To your earlier point Candy Apple Reds (CARs) are a big family of zoas that can - and do - morph with some being named and more expensive ie... Hephaestus.

So to extend @Cthulukelele's earlier caution, when buying online folks should be prudent (ie Googling in images) to see if its a one-off rebrand, just a nice version of something, or if it really is something wholly unique and worth a higher price point.

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the information. So what we have so far are these as the hottest high-end zoas for 2024:
Great Owls
Big bird and Kermit
Northern lights
Stratosphere

What else is on your high-end wish list or hard to find? I am still trying to better understand Stratosphere morphs and lineage/differences but I'll post that on its own because I think each Zoa should have its own discussion. But I am mainly very interested in discovering new high-end zoas in this post.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
@DSmithZ28 I gave a fairly complete history on an old Stratosphere post that recently came up in the forum. It explains what happened if you have some time to kill.

There's a growing list of zoas that are harder to come by (and certainly more difficult to get your hands on than strats). This includes; dayglo volcano, princess oxana, golden leopards, ultimate space monsters, ck soul suckers, Oscar the grouch etc.

As for new strains I'd say take a look at Salem Clemen's 'Spectral hornets' (no google images, you'll need to do a quick facebook search). That's really the main one IMO. I'm not otherwise seeing much from Golden Basket (site is being redone), SBB, Cherry Corals, etc at the moment. BSA's 'hypno toads' are pretty awesome - sort of a cross between a krak god and an ultimate chaos.

I would suggest taking a look at Iconic Aquarium's website (physical store is closed but he's very much still in business). Joe is a zoa junky and networks with a lot of these guys. There's several really interesting ones on there now.

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the information. So what we have so far are these as the hottest high-end zoas for 2024:
Great Owls
Big bird and Kermit
Northern lights
Stratosphere

What else is on your high-end wish list or hard to find? I am still trying to better understand Stratosphere morphs and lineage/differences but I'll post that on its own because I think each Zoa should have its own discussion. But I am mainly very interested in discovering new high-end zoas in this post.
I'd have to agree with those! Hopeing to track some down!

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DSmithZ28 I gave a fairly complete history on an old Stratosphere post that recently came up in the forum. It explains what happened if you have some time to kill.

There's a growing list of zoas that are harder to come by (and certainly more difficult to get your hands on than strats). This includes; dayglo volcano, princess oxana, golden leopards, ultimate space monsters, ck soul suckers, Oscar the grouch etc.

As for new strains I'd say take a look at Salem Clemen's 'Spectral hornets' (no google images, you'll need to do a quick facebook search). That's really the main one IMO. I'm not otherwise seeing much from Golden Basket (site is being redone), SBB, Cherry Corals, etc at the moment. BSA's 'hypno toads' are pretty awesome - sort of a cross between a krak god and an ultimate chaos.

I would suggest taking a look at Iconic Aquarium's website (physical store is closed but he's very much still in business). Joe is a zoa junky and networks with a lot of these guys. There's several really interesting ones on there now.
Great info thank you VERY much!

Daved4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am struggling to find people selling these Zoas. Where are you finding them? I live in the middle of NOWHERE Mississippi and do not have an LFS in the state that carries these high corals. If any is selling PM me LOL
I just posted up some goodies. Stratosphere, exosphere, koala eyes, and llama snacks. Have multiple sale threads on here and plenty of references if your interested

ka313988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am struggling to find people selling these Zoas. Where are you finding them? I live in the middle of NOWHERE Mississippi and do not have an LFS in the state that carries these high corals. If any is selling PM me LOL
What are you looking for exactly?

ka313988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like 2023 was mainly GMK, LSOH, Stratosphere and Exosphere but what is the newest and hottest Zoas for 2024?
I got great owls and thinking about maybe getting some Lorax (still researching these)

Attachments

• IMG_1659.jpeg
    IMG_1659.jpeg
    768.1 KB · Views: 59

ka313988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1664.jpeg

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those have been around for years. still huge but must be some newer ones that are hot. I have all those you lited and picked up some god beast and paid a pretty penny! I know great owls are in. Big bird and kermit. Is northern lights big? I am thinking of getting some of those!
The god beast is selling for $500 pp up in my area. Strats have come down to a “reasonable” $250 along with exo and marvins. All too rich for my blood. I have a nice small colony growing of spellbinder, picked them up on sale for $25 pp and happy as hell with how they look. Those and my rastas are my favourites. Although I do like the original Miami vice, but the strains I have seen up here don’t seem blue like the OG from a few years ago. So waiting patiently until such time.

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those have been around for years. still huge but must be some newer ones that are hot. I have all those you lited and picked up some god beast and paid a pretty penny! I know great owls are in. Big bird and kermit. Is northern lights big? I am thinking of getting some of those!
White zombie to

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably Stratospheres. I've noticed recently that they seem to be much more available than they have been in the past. I'm assuming someone got in a strain that isn't as prone to melting so I think we will continue to see them propagated and spread throughout the hobby. Prices seem to be coming down as well. They're still expensive, but not $1000pp expensive.

Unless some new crazy morph finds it's way into the hobby, I think Strats will continue to be the hot zoa in 2024.
Yea, one of my LFS got some in.. they are in the process of quarantine and will soon be fragging,,but he said $50pp....which isn't bad. I'm in Melbourne FL . They look stunning, but I'm still not gonna buy a single head zoa.

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The god beast is selling for $500 pp up in my area. Strats have come down to a “reasonable” $250 along with exo and marvins. All too rich for my blood. I have a nice small colony growing of spellbinder, picked them up on sale for $25 pp and happy as hell with how they look. Those and my rastas are my favourites. Although I do like the original Miami vice, but the strains I have seen up here don’t seem blue like the OG from a few years ago. So waiting patiently until such time.

You must check out lowcountrycoralboys website for the best prices on high end zoas.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back