What's the HOT Zoa for 2024?

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like 2023 was mainly GMK, LSOH, Stratosphere and Exosphere but what is the newest and hottest Zoas for 2024?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like 2023 was mainly GMK, LSOH, Stratosphere and Exosphere but what is the newest and hottest Zoas for 2024?
Whatever is the most expensive and melts. J/k :grinning-squinting-face:

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Probably Stratospheres. I've noticed recently that they seem to be much more available than they have been in the past. I'm assuming someone got in a strain that isn't as prone to melting so I think we will continue to see them propagated and spread throughout the hobby. Prices seem to be coming down as well. They're still expensive, but not $1000pp expensive.

Unless some new crazy morph finds it's way into the hobby, I think Strats will continue to be the hot zoa in 2024.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those have been around for years. still huge but must be some newer ones that are hot. I have all those you lited and picked up some god beast and paid a pretty penny! I know great owls are in. Big bird and kermit. Is northern lights big? I am thinking of getting some of those!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably Stratospheres. I've noticed recently that they seem to be much more available than they have been in the past. I'm assuming someone got in a strain that isn't as prone to melting so I think we will continue to see them propagated and spread throughout the hobby. Prices seem to be coming down as well. They're still expensive, but not $1000pp expensive.

Unless some new crazy morph finds it's way into the hobby, I think Strats will continue to be the hot zoa in 2024.
Still at 100 per polyp if your lucky! LOL. Thats what I paid for mine!

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am struggling to find people selling these Zoas. Where are you finding them? I live in the middle of NOWHERE Mississippi and do not have an LFS in the state that carries these high corals. If any is selling PM me LOL

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I am struggling to find people selling these Zoas. Where are you finding them? I live in the middle of NOWHERE Mississippi and do not have an LFS in the state that carries these high corals. If any is selling PM me LOL

You won't find high end corals at most LFSs unless they have a strong online presence. The reason being that most of their customers aren't looking fancy named corals. They simply want stuff that looks good at an affordable price.

It's basically the opposite of why you don't see a ton of online sellers selling the easy to obtain bread and butter corals. No one will buy those online when they can get them from their LFS.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pandoras? Nirvanas?
Sad Please Please Please GIF by myHQ

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to buyer beware some people about zoas. A TON of the zoa "morphs" in the hobby are just your standard types you see all the time at your LFS reacting to different lighting environments (usually being in relatively high uv and blue light with almost no white light). Just be aware what you're buying. They'll change right back in your tank over the course of a few months unless you're running the same smurf blue with 2 actinic bar lighting setups as the vendor. A ton of zoas (especially the colorful ones) change MASSIVELY depending on lighting, flow, and tank setup.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Online! Thats where I get mine. I can pm you some good online vendors. I will be fragging soon as well

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pandoras? Nirvanas?
Sad Please Please Please GIF by myHQ
haha. Those grow in plague proportions. want some LOL. I just got some crazy cheap nirvanas and they are probably the priettiest in my tank IMO I heard they used to be high end along with utter chaos. Utter chaos prices are defiently going up again!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noone was replying so I made a new post and now everyone is! lol. Can I remove a post?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to buyer beware some people about zoas. A TON of the zoa "morphs" in the hobby are just your standard types you see all the time at your LFS reacting to different lighting environments (usually being in relatively high uv and blue light with almost no white light). Just be aware what you're buying. They'll change right back in your tank over the course of a few months unless you're running the same smurf blue with 2 actinic bar lighting setups as the vendor. A ton of zoas (especially the colorful ones) change MASSIVELY depending on lighting, flow, and tank setup.
I bought some candy apple reds and they were so dull! I swore he switched them but now they are coloring back up! Same with deathstars. There was no glitter look to them until they settled in and I moved them up higher!

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

You're grossly exaggerating when you say a "ton" of these are standard types that have simply morphed in captivity. Are there ones that morph slightly and unscrupulous vendors that will rename stuff and jack up the price? Certainly. But, most of these are unique strains that may presently somewhat differently in different reefer's aquariums depending on lighting, par, spectrum and also nutrition/nutrients.

To say that 'a ton" of zoas 'change massively' is again an exaggeration. Yes, there will be some variation but a dragon eye will never turn into an exosphere or vise a versa. If you want to make this argument about sps go right ahead. There must be a hundred different names for the same tenuis that will all brown out if not kept under 300par with exacting water parameters. Zoas? Not so much.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're grossly exaggerating when you say a "ton" of these are standard types that have simply morphed in captivity. Are there ones that morph slightly and unscrupulous vendors that will rename stuff and jack up the price? Certainly. But, most of these are unique strains that may presently somewhat differently in different reefer's aquariums depending on lighting, par, spectrum and also nutrition/nutrients.

To say that 'a ton" of zoas 'change massively' is again an exaggeration. Yes, there will be some variation but a dragon eye will never turn into an exosphere or vise a versa. If you want to make this argument about sps go right ahead. There must be a hundred different names for the same tenuis that will all brown out if not kept under 300par with exacting water parameters. Zoas? Not so much.
I could have used softer language, and I agree about acros as well. I think I just wanted to comment on this as a lot of people new to the hobby get scammed in this way.

Also I've seen pink and gold palys, rastas, various palys, standard fire and ice zoas, and quite a few other of the very common zoas in the hobby that are known to shift in to 5 or 6 different visual appearances especially in overwhelminging blue light named a baker's dozen different things each based on miniscule variations associated with the conditions in which they're being grown.

I want it to be clear that there ABSOLUTELY are interesting zoas out there that are absolutely their own thing and it's totally reasonable to like them. I just also wanted to post a little psa for new reefers that stumble upon threads like this.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back