Whats the hotness right now?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also say that nearly any colony is spectacular, so don't rule out fast growers that can get large fast - many people, including my guests who know nothing about reefing, are more impressed with a dinner plate sized coral than an expensive booger that has not overgrown the frag plug yet. Stags can be amazing when they are over a foot tall. If you go this way, give them room to grow.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 14k. These may not be the hottest but they are some that I like under the 14k day and also blues at night:

BB Draw Jopper. Mines still pretty small but I'm really looking forward to it growing out. Has great color under MH.
DSC_0099-3.jpg

RRC Shazam - I have a knock off piece, I believe it's the same just not from RR. Very cool coral.
rru rainbowblossum-31.jpg

DSC_0102-3.jpg

TCK Supersonic - still kinda new but amazing blue under in the bag under daylight. Granted the base color is brown in 14k, the blues are so intense it looks false . It has multi tone polyps under all blue, like their picture.
rru rainbowblossum-23.jpg

rru rainbowblossum-54.jpg

RRC Hellfire Enchinata is great for lower in the tank acro - dominant tanks. Mine is higher, so not much orange but I'm happy with it.
rru rainbowblossum-35.jpg

Stags - Hugos rainbow stag and TGC Creamsicle are very nice day and night.
rru rainbowblossum-13.jpg

DSC_0154-2.jpg

If you need a RED piece, CB Maleficent is hard to compete with
rru rainbowblossum-41.jpg

lemonade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WD is garbage to me. It is brown and green unless you want to light your tank with windex all of the time. It is easy to grow. It goes for probably less than $40 a frag around here - everybody who has it wants it and it is growing with nowhere to send it.
I’d have to disagree and say WD is right up there with Orange Passion, Homewrecker, Superman. The colors are definitely a bit more subtle but in the right spot it looks awesome. This is under a even mix of blue+ and coral+ bulbs
8CFDE68B-D588-41D5-A431-851FC0D4BA01.jpeg

Also another coral that doesn’t get the hype it deserves, imo is the JF Jolt/TSA Rainbow Fusion. Not a lot of the new rainbow Tenuis that look great in white lighting but this one has super nice baby blue with green and multi color polyps. I think this one will be more sought after in the future

My previous frag of TSA Rainbow Fusion
09A297A0-A2A3-4491-BC6B-B5BBAA1635CA.jpeg

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If I could find 5 real deal 20k lokani that would be my top 5.

Seriously though, I'd say:

1. 20k or 30k Lokani
2. OG Pink Panther
3. JF Frankie's Neophobia
4.BC Angelica
5. Hung's Rainbow

You prob won't see 1 or 2 at a show so:
5. MCC Prom Queen
6.LRO Buzz Light-year

IMO, several of these will look good under non trick lighting.

I kept AB off the list bc IMO it looks very different under different lighting. Do a search on R2R, there's a huge thread where a guy picked up a frag that was called out as suspect/fake, only for the entire traceable linneage to be verified 9 pages later.

In the end, that OP was left with a frag that still didn't meet the requirements of what a real AB should look like even though he had established better linneage than 90% of the ppl that own a blue LED colored up one.

which one is the OG pink panther?

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which one is the OG pink panther?

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also say that nearly any colony is spectacular, so don't rule out fast growers that can get large fast - many people, including my guests who know nothing about reefing, are more impressed with a dinner plate sized coral than an expensive booger that has not overgrown the frag plug yet. Stags can be amazing when they are over a foot tall. If you go this way, give them room to grow.
I dont purely purchase corals based on price or rarity. I have a ton of old school pieces and even cheap classics mixed in. I have a good mix of corals based on how it looks to me.

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 14k. These may not be the hottest but they are some that I like under the 14k day and also blues at night:

BB Draw Jopper. Mines still pretty small but I'm really looking forward to it growing out. Has great color under MH.
DSC_0099-3.jpg

RRC Shazam - I have a knock off piece, I believe it's the same just not from RR. Very cool coral.
rru rainbowblossum-31.jpg

DSC_0102-3.jpg

TCK Supersonic - still kinda new but amazing blue under in the bag under daylight. Granted the base color is brown in 14k, the blues are so intense it looks false . It has multi tone polyps under all blue, like their picture.
rru rainbowblossum-23.jpg

rru rainbowblossum-54.jpg

RRC Hellfire Enchinata is great for lower in the tank acro - dominant tanks. Mine is higher, so not much orange but I'm happy with it.
rru rainbowblossum-35.jpg

Stags - Hugos rainbow stag and TGC Creamsicle are very nice day and night.
rru rainbowblossum-13.jpg

DSC_0154-2.jpg

If you need a RED piece, CB Maleficent is hard to compete with
rru rainbowblossum-41.jpg
That Draw Jopper and Creamsicle really pop out to me. I have the malefecient as well and pictures never do it justice. It glows!
SCOP- still my favorite
Hard to argue, I'll always have this piece in my tanks.
I’d have to disagree and say WD is right up there with Orange Passion, Homewrecker, Superman. The colors are definitely a bit more subtle but in the right spot it looks awesome. This is under a even mix of blue+ and coral+ bulbs
8CFDE68B-D588-41D5-A431-851FC0D4BA01.jpeg

Also another coral that doesn’t get the hype it deserves, imo is the JF Jolt/TSA Rainbow Fusion. Not a lot of the new rainbow Tenuis that look great in white lighting but this one has super nice baby blue with green and multi color polyps. I think this one will be more sought after in the future

My previous frag of TSA Rainbow Fusion
09A297A0-A2A3-4491-BC6B-B5BBAA1635CA.jpeg
Yep, the WD is one of the brightest yellow corals in my tank. It pops more than most of my SPS. I just picked up the JF Jolt and am looking forward to seeing it grow out and color up.
here's a few of my hotties:

JF HW:
_MG_2712.JPG

RRU OP
_MG_2720.JPG

RR LIP
_MG_2726.JPG

WD
_MG_2733.JPG

RMF Psycoberry
_MG_2753.JPG

Hung's Rainbow
_MG_2662.JPG

RRU Firecracker
_MG_2669.JPG
Thanks for reminding me on the UOP. I think I like the Canada version better but will be on the lookout for either.

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ended up with way too much stuff last night. I’m going to have to clear out a bunch of frags of pieces from my tank to make room. I will try to get some photos of these ASAP.

TGC Acrolandia
BKChem Fruitloops
SBB Ooh Lala
WWC Pink Panther
RRC Ultimate Orange Passion
RRC Shazam
JF Flame
RMF Candyland

All of these in a pack from RRU:
Kaboom
Anaconda
Hells Kitchen
Hibiscus
Red Rock
Longhorn
Zu Fu Long
and a few nice Malaysian pieces that aren’t named yet

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back