Whats the next trend in the hobby?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thanks to all those BRS video's every tank these days is started with all dry rock, all dry sand, and god forbid if something hitchhiked a ride in to the tank. "OMG WHAT IS THIS AND HOW DO I GET RID OF IT!!!!" we all know the threads of just common bristle worms, peanut worms, vermetid snails, etc. which is all part of owning a reef tank, and part of the beneficial life that makes up a reef tank. But everyone wants to get them out of their tank because "I don't like it, and I didn't put it in the tank". Owning a reef tank is not a sterile eviroment, and if it is, you have a dead tank!

So with all these sterile tanks being started up, whats the next trend going to be? No sand, no LR, just a bare glass box with water and biomedia in the sump? We already have many threads about negative aquascape and the lack of rock this creates.

Maybe I'm just old school, but I happen to like a tank packed with rock, and on those rocks are many well grown in colonies, not just a few rocks here and there with a hundred tiny frags on them. Tanks these days seem to be like an epenis for most. Very sterile tank with minimal rock, and 100 tiny frags glowing all sorts of weird colors cause all I run is a windex tank. No one ever lets these poor frags grow to colonies. God I remember when what is called a mini colony now, used to be a frag! I've had flem balls bigger then some of these so called frags!and it didn't cost me $500 for a booger.

OOh don't forget all the dino threads we see now, we'll be seeing more of them now too.

Anyways, whats everyones thoughts? Am I just too old school to embrace change? Or is the hobby headed in the wrong direction?

reefviper101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thanks to all those BRS video's every tank these days is started with all dry rock, all dry sand, and god forbid if something hitchhiked a ride in to the tank. "OMG WHAT IS THIS AND HOW DO I GET RID OF IT!!!!" we all know the threads of just common bristle worms, peanut worms, vermetid snails, etc. which is all part of owning a reef tank, and part of the beneficial life that makes up a reef tank. But everyone wants to get them out of their tank because "I don't like it, and I didn't put it in the tank". Owning a reef tank is not a sterile eviroment, and if it is, you have a dead tank!

So with all these sterile tanks being started up, whats the next trend going to be? No sand, no LR, just a bare glass box with water and biomedia in the sump? We already have many threads about negative aquascape and the lack of rock this creates.

Maybe I'm just old school, but I happen to like a tank packed with rock, and on those rocks are many well grown in colonies, not just a few rocks here and there with a hundred tiny frags on them. Tanks these days seem to be like an epenis for most. Very sterile tank with minimal rock, and 100 tiny frags glowing all sorts of weird colors cause all I run is a windex tank. No one ever lets these poor frags grow to colonies. God I remember when what is called a mini colony now, used to be a frag! I've had flem balls bigger then some of these so called frags!and it didn't cost me $500 for a booger.

OOh don't forget all the dino threads we see now, we'll be seeing more of them now too.

Anyways, whats everyones thoughts? Am I just too old school to embrace change? Or is the hobby headed in the wrong direction?
I have to agree although i did watch them i still went old school when i got dack into the hobby it is crazy all the new stuff.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although im not old enough to be old school, i much prefer old school ways, i think the hobby is gearing more and more towards automation, i tried it and couldnt get on with it. It wont be long before everything from testing to cleaning will be automated, we will not have to get up of our backside to do something to the tank.
I much prefer a tank which has got 10 large colonies rather than 50 small frags, it just looks more natural.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although im not old enough to be old school, i much prefer old school ways, i think the hobby is gearing more and more towards automation, i tried it and couldnt get on with it. It wont be long before everything from testing to cleaning will be automated, we will not have to get up of our backside to do something to the tank.
I much prefer a tank which has got 10 large colonies rather than 50 small frags, it just looks more natural.
I 100% agree with you. I just cannot stand looking at tanks with very little rock, packed full of tiny 1" frags, that are so blue, even the frag plugs are blue.

No one ever considers what these frags will grow into anymore because no one has colonies anymore. As soon as it's big enough to frag, their fragging it. Which just leaves displays looking more like frag tanks.

With that said, I'm ok with a new tank full of frags. I like frags too, as I like to watch them grow into colonies, but let the things grow abit before chopping it up again.

And for the love of our eyes, and the posted pictures, TURN UP THE WHITES A BIT! At least when taking and posting pictures.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody nowadays actually start a reef tank with the purpose of growing corals to look at or is it mostly done to make money off fragging? unfortunately i think it is the latter, I have never fragged a coral in my life and the only time i would is if i had to trim a certain coral because of its size.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh I fragged many corals, but only because the colony was getting to large.

I think most people get in to look at corals. Then they see the prices of corals, and think they can make a million on selling frags. And that is where the hobby is trending towards.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh I fragged many corals, but only because the colony was getting to large.

I think most people get in to look at corals. Then they see the prices of corals, and think they can make a million on selling frags. And that is where the hobby is trending towards.
You are probably right, I'm hopeful it is just a phase the hobby is going through and when people realise the beauty of a colony then maybe it will change.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you have money you can automate anything, but it doesn't mean it will result in a successful tank. Monitoring has become more sophisticated, but monitoring pH, alk and calcium with more precision doesn't mean your corals will grow better. I started my first salt water tank in 85.....95% of the new tech I see being raved about is just marketing to kids with a credit card. That guy with all the small frags in his tank under a $800 light with fancy lighting modes and requiring more firmware updates than my routers will argue with me the benefits of violet LEDs because some forum guru says it's so. A year from now he still has 1" frags and wants to upgrade his light :)

The basic problems of reefing keeping are the same and unfortunately they haven't been solved. The best reef tanks I see are always ones where the owner sticks to the basics and focuses on nutrient control.

I use a plastic floating needle hydrometer. Had it for years. I've broken two refractometers in that time, and my $10 plastic floating needle hydrometer hasn't failed. It's exactly one point off, and there's nothing to calibrate. It will always be exactly one point off, so why do I need to buy another refractometer? Because it's more accurate - lol.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. There seems to be two schools of thought. Hands on and hands off. It would be nice to see more of a trend back to the hands on approach to things. I fear technology will continue to make things "easier" for us though. I think that people should do whatever works best for their situation and that provides them the most enjoyment in the hobby. But the trend will continue to push tech and the almighty dollar.

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% agree with you. I just cannot stand looking at tanks with very little rock, packed full of tiny 1" frags, that are so blue, even the frag plugs are blue.

No one ever considers what these frags will grow into anymore because no one has colonies anymore. As soon as it's big enough to frag, their fragging it. Which just leaves displays looking more like frag tanks.

With that said, I'm ok with a new tank full of frags. I like frags too, as I like to watch them grow into colonies, but let the things grow abit before chopping it up again.

And for the love of our eyes, and the posted pictures, TURN UP THE WHITES A BIT! At least when taking and posting pictures.

I did this my first year. That and buy expensive coral/fish. Both were pretty stupid.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am as old school as you can get, and I'm old. :cool: I don't get those threads where people try to remove everything they don't know what it is. I consider that stuff free life and have never tried to remove anything except maybe these. :oops:

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody nowadays actually start a reef tank with the purpose of growing corals to look at or is it mostly done to make money off fragging? unfortunately i think it is the latter, I have never fragged a coral in my life and the only time i would is if i had to trim a certain coral because of its size.
im new school and i couldnt give a care about fragging for money XD I just want an impressive colony that I grew out because 1. I take pride when my corals grow, it shows that youve been able to keep your tank in great conditions and it has the ability to grow. these are animals were speaking of. 2. Im not gonna go spend $500 for a colony when i could buy a frag and grow it.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am as old school as you can get, and I'm old. :cool: I don't get those threads where people try to remove everything they don't know what it is. I consider that stuff free life and have never tried to remove anything except maybe these. :oops:

Anyone ever see that thread of the hitchhiker octopus? That would be cool but id instantly have to remove it cuz it would eat all my fish. But an octopus specific tank would be cool, i havent seen one of those yet. (probably because they have a lifespan of 1year or slightly more)

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im new school and i couldnt give a care about fragging for money XD I just want an impressive colony that I grew out because 1. I take pride when my corals grow, it shows that youve been able to keep your tank in great conditions and it has the ability to grow. these are animals were speaking of. 2. Im not gonna go spend $500 for a colony when i could buy a frag and grow it.
Nice to hear it.

richarddeweerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people in the hobby are lacking patience. They expect magic to happen in a minute. This is the case for growing corals and for fighting algae's and other bacteria. Hey I see too much algae, let me drop in this bottle of XYZ. And if the next morning the algae is not gone they grab a bottle of ZYX. The same with algae growth. Let me put in a bottle of x, or if that doesn't help, upgrade the lamps twice a year.

Not to speak of all the sterile treatments and blowing up de fish in copper baths and other medicines before dropping it in the tank.

I have had reef tanks for about 10 years (and is still consider myself a beginner). I've been using fresh sea water for the last 8 years, I never did any quarantine (well I quarantined myself lately :) ), and only recently I had my first small disease. (Black ick on my tang.) The only treatment I did was giving it extra food and let the lights on longer for a couple of days to let it rest less. After 2 weeks it was completely gone.

I'm an engineer and programmer. I love the electronics on my tank, and yes I would go for sure to automated testing in the future, but automation for me is not the objective. The electronics are there only to support me in maintaining the tank. And I'm just blessed that I can combine 2 of my hobbies in my reef tank.

I have my tank because I'm in love with the fish and corals. How the brittle biological equilibrium of food, bacteria and other elements results to a truly living painting in our living room. One that never looks the same and where I discover new behavior, and even new animals, every time I give it more than a quick glimpse.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back