What's the OLDEST piece of equipment you have running on your tank?

How old is the OLDEST piece of equipment you have running on your tank?

• Less than a year

Votes: 57 11.8%
  • 1 - 2 Year

Votes: 82 17.0%
  • 3 - 4 Year

Votes: 90 18.6%
  • 5 - 7 Year

Votes: 85 17.6%
  • 8 - 10 Year

Votes: 48 9.9%
  • 10+ Years (do tell)

Votes: 121 25.1%

• Total voters

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently using three items I purchased in 2007. The first is my Tunze skimmer and it runs perfect. I did put a new cup on it though as it did not have a cup but a removable reaction chamber with a 1” drain at the top. Now the whole cup including the reaction chamber simply lifts out for cleaning and the skimmer is the most compact by far. Second is an Eheim Jager heater that I used up until last year, I use it to mix salt now though just to be on the safe side. Third is a Tunze turbelle that provides flow in my sump.

Tunze and Eheim are both brands that build to last.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've many things where parts are 20 years old. My skimmer, for example, is a MTC HSA-3000 which was originally bought over 20 years ago, though I have modified it significantly more recently. Same for my CaRx. Some of my vortech pumps have drysides that are over 10 years old. My all time longevity champ was an original Iwaki pump - 21 years in continuous operation. I retired it in 2008.

halfmoon61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Finnex 500W heaters and an Ehiem 1262 pump are 9 yrs old last month. I also have an extra pump and heater the same age, but haven't needed to see water yet.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My MaxSpect G2 160w LED's. 10.5 years old at this point, probably the oldest LED fixtures on Reef2Reef. Though they did spend most of that time in storage, and they were very thoroughly rebuilt last year with just about everything gutted out and replaced. Should last me a few years still until I get around to putting in modern fixtures.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently my tank is still under a year.

My old nano though! I still used the original return pump for my over the top sump that i built. That was a good old aquaone pump had that for almost 8years(adding in the previous owner). 2x sicce voyeger and they lasted well over 5 years! But because i had to give up the hobby for a few years sadly i no longer have it.

Just glad to be back! Always enjoy the hobby and getting nerdy with it.

images.jpeg-11.jpg

Happy reefing!

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gen 1 Maxspect R420R 160w over my 40 breeder. I bought it used about a month ago, its rusty and dirty but still works great. Who ever had it before me looks like they got alot of use out of it. Hope it will last me for a few more years.

Edit: Also a Reef Octopus BH-100 with the old original style pump, before they switched to the Aquatrance pumps. Only been cleaned 2 or 3 times. Ive also got some Jebao wavemakers that are 2 or 3 years old, still fine.

Last edited:

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Iwaki MD 70 that runs for about 30mins every 2 hours on my 100g salt mixing station. Bought it used 8yrs ago and never touched it since setup.

I have some very old eheim pumps that are easily 20yrs old and still get used from time to time.

also have some mag pumps that are 15+ And have been run hard. Still ticking. Occasionally I’ll use them as a hammer when needed. They are built like tanks!

I also have a couple kessil a360 that are 7yrs old over a frag tank. Currently growing some Goni and monti. Never done a thing to them and they seem to be growing stuff just fine.

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 10 gallon DIY sump is the second tank I owned. I bought it when I was a junior in high school. Over the years it served as a home for cichlids, killifish, guppies, and clownfish. It served as a breeding tank for those fish and as a quarantine tank.
Now to date myself. I was a high school junior 1974 / 1975.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build date of my 90g is 03. It was dry for 8ish years after I broke it down but filled up in January to start again and have had no issues.

Got some old koralia powerheads from the mid 2000s that still work along with a mj1200 on salt mix duty. Lumatek ballast from 2009ish still going strong.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around 2010 me and the wife took a trip to Hawaii. I had a 65 tall at the time . When we got back I tired drilling a hole in the bottom of my 65 tempered boom. So, she took me to the local fish store and they had a 125 set up on display. She seen me drooling over it so she said get it. Tank sump pump everything but a heater even a proclear 150 protien skimmer that was in 2011 so my tank ,sump, protien skimmer are still original equipment. I quit smoking for her over that one.

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLF 150 reactor. Going on 8 years now. All I've ever had to do is replace the o-ring. Great product.

IanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mp10 mfg date 2013 i believe

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current tank is only around 2 years old so all of the equipment I am currently running is from around that time as well. When I initially setup this tank I was using an old Reef Octopus skimmer that was from an old tank of mine that is around 15 years old. It has to be one of their first models.

I bought it new about 15 years ago and after 5 years of use it sat in my garage for 10 years. When I put it in my current tank it ran great, the only reason I replaced it is because the return pipe (stand pipe?) Is just a vertical open pipe and splashes water everywhere in my sump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back