What's the point of phyto?

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty bad about keeping a dosing schedule, which is why I use dosers

It also clogs my filter socks anytime I use it.

What are the tangible benefits of phyto? My reef tank parameters are already fine with my current setup and maintenance, corals are all growing, so can anyone fill me in?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What are the tangible benefits of phyto? My reef tank parameters are already fine with my current setup and maintenance, corals are all growing, so can anyone fill me in?
I used it everyday in three tanks for two months without any noticeable benefit. But I assume it would be great for filter feeders like clams, etc. I used nano and tet.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a three to five year fad where it was the only way to run a tank and hobbyists swore that it made a HUGE difference. Articles expounded the virtues, talks at shows, etc. It was supposedly necessary to keep clams so they could filter it for food. Then, more and more evidence that photosynthetic corals cannot catch or use it very well (cost more than benefit) and that filter feeding inverts might be the only things that do. It faded as more and more people who went away from it did not notice any changes - the phyto was just along for the ride when their tanks got more mature or the hobbyist got more talented.

During this time, I grew a few different kinds and traded 2L soda bottles to the LFS for corals and stuff. It sold like crazy. This was in the early days of CB clownfish, damsels, etc.

You also need phyto to feed rotifers if you want to raise young fish.

Oyster Eggs was part of the same fad/trend.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use it about once a week for feeding copepods. I think it also feeds some corals.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 130 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.3%
Back