Whats the term: Measuring distortion

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When viewing glass tanks from an angle there is distortion, with thicker glass this gets worse.

What is term that measures distortion? Is it refractive index? Something esle? What's a typical figure?

Are there tank manufacturers that use glass with less of this?

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is refractive also, it's science:D

Is that a yes to my question? It is the correct term to use when we tank about distortion from viewing angles?

DO you know if anyone makes low RI glass for aquariums?

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must admit I have never heard of any glass that does not refract light

wtac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The visual distortion comes from the bowing of the glass/acrylic which is compounded by the thickness of material. To minimize distortion, the easiest way is to use a thicker glass/acrylic to hold back the water pressure for the "flattest" visual plane as possible.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other large forum there was a thread on this I found, basically its caused by the difference in the RI in the glass and in the water. Also I am pretty sure the distortion gets worse with thicker glass. I dont see many tank manufacturers discussing this, probably because materials with low RI are way more expensive and nobody seems to care, it bothers me when viewing from an angle, I am going to ask a few more higher end manufacturers.

wtac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion if you really want to know the straight answer is to go to your local college/university physics department and speak with someone that understands lights optics.

RI is just one factor. Ask about transparent material RIs and the physical real world attributes that are involved with aquariums. You will probably have to wait a bit of time as they will collaborate with the engineering faculty you give you all the pertinent information and not conjecture and suppositions.

When it comes to RI, air is 1.00, glass varies from 1.51-1 63 depending on composition, acrylic is 1.45, RODI water is 1.33, SW 1.35-1.38 depending on salinity and elemental composition.

It's another area to learn the physical characteristics of light and the mediums (air, liquid and solid) they travel through.

The understandable desire of a distortion free view will only be possible via force field à la Star Trek

Here's another tidbit of info that'll fry your mind. Color from materials basically are from carbon to carbon double-triple bond resonance of the molecule. Bleach or any oxidant disrupts the bonds to single bonds and so visually gone...but the basic molecular structure is still there

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to RI, air is 1.00, glass varies from 1.51-1 63 depending on composition, acrylic is 1.45, RODI water is 1.33, SW 1.35-1.38 depending on salinity and elemental composition.

This is why acrylic distorts less than glass, it's refractive index is closer. It's incredible how much misinformation is out there, custom aquariums has a chart on their site comparing glass v acrylic, it states glass has less visual distortion, this is inaccurate as evidenced above!

I have not heard of low RI glass, but if you're really concerned you could look into acrylic, if it didn't scratch so easily, if only!

wtac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO/E its more than just RI of mediums.

What the market can bear on a end user pricepoint, how one views the aquarium normally, how they want the view from an angle and "how flat" the viewing panel all factors into the equation. The only practical manner to minimize distortion from viewing at acute angles is to use thicker material to minimize bowing/keeping the vertical pane as flat as possible.

Glass or acrylic, using thicker material drives up the cost considerably. Is distortion really an issue? For the persnickety and acutely OCD. How does one usually view the aquarium? Straight on or at angles less than 45*? Up close nose touching the aquarium or 3-10ft away?

Are we just being super critical of details that at the end of the day most ppl dont really notice unless they get up close and personal...like regular float vs Starfire glass aquariums :p

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back