What's the worst thing you've ever dropped in your tank?

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worse for me was my phone. On FaceTime with girlfriend, sits phone down while messing with tank, look over and see her on the phone inside the tank with wide eyes... phone and tank was fine XD

OP
OP
N

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread.

There are some funny, sad, amusing and downright scary stories out there....

I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one who's either had, or nearly had "Unwanted-stuff-in-tank" disasters....

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last summer I had a penny fall into a small but very heavily stocked SPS tank. Didn't see it.

The zinc in the penny caused a massive and brutal bleaching of all SPS. Dark blue digipora turned snow white in less than 48 hours. Everything recovered but it was scary. Zinc is a main component of algaecide.

kaylajoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a small steel anvil to weigh down some acrylic I was gluing to the bottom of a tank. When I was taking it out I dropped it on a glass aquarium lid and made a huge mess.

I missed my tank but I think it was a fair warning lol. I hate messing with rocks or anything in aquarium, so much scratch glass.

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple dottyback... Worst inanimate object so far - LEDs on my frag tank more than once and they still work lol

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not do this but it happened to a tank that I cared for in my school library another lifetime ago....
During the holiday break, some awful kids broke into the school and poured about half a gallon of Elmers Craft Glue in the fish tank. It was about a 40 gallon tank - freshwater. When the building reopened, the HOB filter was pretty much ruined, the tank completely opaque and gelatinous. To all of our amazement, we were able to find and save every fish. They were assorted goldfish .... so there's that. We had to wash each little fish by hand to remove the glue and put them in little bowls from the cafeteria with stress coat while we broke down the entire system and rebuilt it.
It proved two things ... 12 year old boys really can be evil and goldfish are like cockroaches, they will live through darn near anything.
fox artists on tumblr GIF by Animation Domination High-Def

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An airpod... I was on a call while moving a piece of coral and plop...
At least it didn't fall in the rock work or in a cave.

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not do this but it happened to a tank that I cared for in my school library another lifetime ago....
During the holiday break, some awful kids broke into the school and poured about half a gallon of Elmers Craft Glue in the fish tank. It was about a 40 gallon tank - freshwater. When the building reopened, the HOB filter was pretty much ruined, the tank completely opaque and gelatinous. To all of our amazement, we were able to find and save every fish. They were assorted goldfish .... so there's that. We had to wash each little fish by hand to remove the glue and put them in little bowls from the cafeteria with stress coat while we broke down the entire system and rebuilt it.
It proved two things ... 12 year old boys really can be evil and goldfish are like cockroaches, they will live through darn near anything.
fox artists on tumblr GIF by Animation Domination High-Def
12 yr olds can be evil

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back