What's this? I used Microscope

JM Kang

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 23, 2025
Messages
9
Reaction score
2
Location
south korea
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a cheap microscope to look at what might be green algae, dinos, or cyano in my tank, but I still have no idea what it is. It's not a high-end microscope, so the image quality isn't the best. Could anyone knowledgeable take a look and help me identify it?


IMG_5343.jpeg
IMG_5344.jpeg
IMG_5345.jpeg
IMG_5346.jpeg
 
I would say a bunch of filamentous green algae (Cyanos usually move, get discolored in reef tanks to more red/purple, and don't really branch)

The rest seems like detritus or bacterial biofilm. Hard to tell from the overall quality.

Check out my microscopy thread if you find more interesting things you can't identify, but obviously you can always simply ask in a thread like this one 😊
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/microscopy-thread.1138845/
 
I would say a bunch of filamentous green algae (Cyanos usually move, get discolored in reef tanks to more red/purple, and don't really branch)

The rest seems like detritus or bacterial biofilm. Hard to tell from the overall quality.

Check out my microscopy thread if you find more interesting things you can't identify, but obviously you can always simply ask in a thread like this one 😊
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/microscopy-thread.1138845/
Wow, what magnification is needed to get a shot like the one in the post?
 
I would say a bunch of filamentous green algae (Cyanos usually move, get discolored in reef tanks to more red/purple, and don't really branch)

The rest seems like detritus or bacterial biofilm. Hard to tell from the overall quality.

Check out my microscopy thread if you find more interesting things you can't identify, but obviously you can always simply ask in a thread like this one 😊
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/microscopy-thread.1138845/
Wow, what magnification is needed to get a shot like the one in the post?
The image quality depends mostly on optics (well designed objectives) and the illuminaton technique. Your microscope uses simple bright-field which is a good "alround" method but specimen appear flat and translucent things can sometimes become very hard to see. That's why there are other techniques which can help with that:

Dark-field for example doesn't illuminate the specimen from below, but instead from the sides and the background appears dark. The first posts of the clownfish eggs were created in dark-field.

Most other images were taken using "Differential Interference Contrast" (DIC) which is a very advanced illuminaton technique using a polarizer, a prism, followed by the light passing through the specimen, then through another prism and another polarizer. This gives a "3D" impression of the specimen which otherwise would look flat.

Regarding magnification you will have to name the specific post/image what magnification would be required. Note that everything beyond 1000x with a light microscope is pretty much worthless as visible light can't resolve more detail. It's like a "digital zoom" at that point, nothing new gets revealed.
 
I would say a bunch of filamentous green algae (Cyanos usually move, get discolored in reef tanks to more red/purple, and don't really branch)

The rest seems like detritus or bacterial biofilm. Hard to tell from the overall quality.

Check out my microscopy thread if you find more interesting things you can't identify, but obviously you can always simply ask in a thread like this one 😊
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/microscopy-thread.1138845/
The microscopy thread is pretty Awsome I’m not gonna lie. Now I need to find a microscope that’s budget friendly haha
 
I would say a bunch of filamentous green algae (Cyanos usually move, get discolored in reef tanks to more red/purple, and don't really branch)

The rest seems like detritus or bacterial biofilm. Hard to tell from the overall quality.

Check out my microscopy thread if you find more interesting things you can't identify, but obviously you can always simply ask in a thread like this one 😊
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/microscopy-thread.1138845/
The microscopy thread is pretty Awsome I’m not gonna lie. Now I need to find a microscope that’s budget friendly haha
Thank you for the kind words 😊 I hope I can offer more content again soon. I started contacting some online shops hoping to get various samples, maybe even parasites, etc.

There are many cheap microscopes that get you some decent bright-field images up to 400x magnification. 1000x is often useless for cheap scopes but even though I have expensive optics for that range I barely use them. I still have some upgrades coming to improve quality significantly but the actual jump to DIC is the really expensive part and what makes the images look the way they do. With bright field they will always look flat, but it still has it's charme and is very fun and sometimes also useful 😊
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new