Whats this on my hermit crab ?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,firstly hope everyone is doing good and all ok ^_^

So i got 3 scarlet red hermits last saturday.
And noticed few fury things on 2 the crabs.i just thought algae growing on the shells and as no noticeable algae growing in my newky set up tank ( 2 months now)
.i decided not to quarantine my inverts as feeding them could be issue as no rocks with algae on to put in qt etc.
They eating something off the rocks as crawling around and pulling stuff off.what I've identified i have got is calothrix by looks of it ( kind of cyano bacteria) and noticed big chunk of this in a low flow area in a cave on one my rock structures so they either ate it or pulled it off and blew off somewhere else in tank etc.
I have an idea what it is but want see your guys opinions so thanks in advance ^_^

20210513_190237.jpg 20210513_190240.jpg 20210513_190243.jpg 20210513_190249.jpg

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy in the bigger shell also got one on.not the clearest photo so hard to see but near that white lump.
Got a video uploading to youtube as we speak so can see clearer.but only shows it waving in the flow so to speak.
Fan worm. Good filter feeder! Some of my snails have them attached to them, nice way to tell them apart lol.
Ok ty for reply buddy.will look up on fan worms on shells shortly and put video here when ready.
I bought some ocean nutrition green algae ( says was for fish and no mention of hermit crabs) but as thought hermits regarded as scavengers they will eat it as tasty little snack.well so far piece on small rock with elastic band and some on clip on glass down touching sand bed but little buggers not touching it lol.
Did go to a Chinese supermarket looking for 100% seaweed ( nori) but the guy i asked said never heard of it before.he did point out some seaweed but it had extracts of chilli and few other things even though said on packet 100% seaweed so decided against buying that.but it was £ 1.65 for 80g and one i ended up ordering online £ 11.09 so 50% of price for the advertising and 40% because got fish on label and 10% for product ha ha.well little % because got fish oils in it but it still amazes me anything designed for aquariums or has fiah or aquariums in description always such a higher price ( but we get scared and always want what safest for our little friends) until we work out alot stuff just same as others but 80- 90% cheaper because not sold specifically for aquariums ( cyancralite superglue another example ha ha)

Attachments

• 20210513_192712.jpg
    20210513_192712.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210513_192751.jpg
    20210513_192751.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210513_192752.jpg
    20210513_192752.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210513_192810.jpg
    20210513_192810.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210513_192821.jpg
    20210513_192821.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 26

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell on this guy. Looks like there is a tube to the fan worm there, but I don’t see the feathers. Maybe a tunicate on top but I’m thinking either a dead or retracted fan worm there.
I can relate on the getting what’s meant for fish thing. I wound up using normal crazy glue for my reef, but basically always second guess myself if it’s right. For food and decor though, if it wasn’t meant for fish I generally avoid it.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok here a video of the 2 hermits.
Just about to do a water change on fish qt and main dt.and was going take the 2 hermits out and gently rub their shells with a toothbrush in a jug of tank water just to be safe.
Did initially think was a baby aiptasia then my thoughts went to some research i did a bit ago on small glass sea anemones that attach them selves to shells.but if you or others certain its a fan worm and harmless then i wont disturb my new little friends ^_^

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i read with these type worms some very sensitive and even creating shadow above them then they retract or if go close they retract.i notice 2nd hermit i shared where you just pointed out the tube,that actually can see a few fans on him.ok great thanks for reply and hopefully there enough food for them in tank and they reproduce and give me little bit more diversity in tank.
The more i think about things,the more i think i should of got live rock or least a piece or 2 rather than all dry rock.but maybe i will see if lfs got a piece of live rock even a small piece to see if can get some little creepy crawlies. I just got scared off all the pests ( aiptasia, bad crabs,mantis and all the stuff you dont want.but thinking im missing out on all the beneficial micro fauna :(

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even corals will bring in lots of good stuff. So far I’ve been pretty lucky. Just amphipods, brittle stars, copepods, mysis, clams, and fan worms. Also one unidentified snail. There were 2 aptasia but they just disappeared, I guess my tank is no good for anemones lol. My emerald crab does a pretty good job at keeping most intruders in check. I’m pretty sure I also had a hitchhiker mantis or pistol, but my tiger pistol made short work of it.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my idea from research last 5 years since i bought my tank was qt all fish/ coral/inverts.
Bought a fish qt and set system up but very first 2 fish bought. Got some kind parasite on head of one fish.few on here saying looks like brook.lfs when took them back 2 days later said not brook as fish be dead by now and probably some kind fluke.well got 2 new fish from same tank at lfs and put straight in qt system that infected fish was in.
And not even bought a qt tank/ system for corals/ inverts yet and mrs just bought 3 hermits last saturday and drip aclimated them and straight in.
So even though waited 5 years to fill tank with water and lots research and my mind made up 100% so i thought,even snail / hermit shells i use hydrogen peroxide and brush it onto shells to kill all algae and that and qt them for 80 days,all i can say is once you got system up and running inpatience gets the better off you ha ha.so will see if ends up being detrimental not doing qt properley as first 2 fish should went back and then ran qt system empty for 76 days and hermits should been qt either buying another brand new small tank ( scared buying second hand incase old owner used copper and it for inverts) or use one my old freshwater tanks and buy piece glass and silicone it down the middle ( which was original plan) so 160 litre tank becomes 2x 80 litres but wouldn't know if silicone seal ever give way and water started mixing so went off that idea.
Anyway thanks fkr replys ^_^

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the same and all goes well.as hermits/snails so slow and often just chill in one place ,a fish parasite or aptasia or some pest could attach itself just like the fan worm above hey.but in my head im slowly going off idea of a completely sterile tank.but problem is used dry rock/ dry sand so thats exactly what i got and you see others who dont qt anything and dont have major problems but they have such a diversity from the live rocks and mud from the sea ( which i not got ha ha

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back