Whats up with these nobodies who want to rip off everyone?

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not one to post this type of thread, but as of late I've seen a lot of sellers trying to ripoff buyers looking for torches. I can go to a store and get an ASD HG for around $750 or a wild type for around $400. I got a wild type last January for $450 from a sponsor here.

Every ad I open here or Facebook is looking for $800-900 for some random HG. It's disgusting.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not one to post this type of thread, but as of late I've seen a lot of sellers trying to ripoff buyers looking for torches. I can go to a store and get an ASD HG for around $750 or a wild type for around $400. I got a wild type last January for $450 from a sponsor here.

Every ad I open here or Facebook is looking for $800-900 for some random HG. It's disgusting.
As the buyer. You can either buy it or not .
what once was a hobby these people have found ways to skip the hobby part and try making it strictly profit I agree … disgusting

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude ur talking to a person who used to pay $30. $100 for a gold.
That's all they were back than. They price follows the hype.
D
$30 was a huge colony . granted we didn’t have the colours or all
The fancy corals they have today . But the point is the price for everything Has increased .

these ones gouging others for more than what it’s worth only catches up later .

OP
OP
R

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the buyer. You can either buy it or not .
what once was a hobby these people have found ways to skip the hobby part and try making it strictly profit I agree … disgusting

Full disclosure, I sell between $2-3000 a year in frags from my tank, but I don't have a frag tank. Once a year I cut out pieces and sell them.

Someone at my wife's work asked for pics of my tank. It's a display, not a tank with frags to sell. The guy said my tank was 'sexy' but he's looking to sell so not how he wants to run his tank. The idea that newbies are already seeing this hobby as supplemental income just bothers me.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full disclosure, I sell between $2-3000 a year in frags from my tank, but I don't have a frag tank. Once a year I cut out pieces and sell them.

Someone at my wife's work asked for pics of my tank. It's a display, not a tank with frags to sell. The guy said my tank was 'sexy' but he's looking to sell so not how he wants to run his tank. The idea that newbies are already seeing this hobby as supplemental income just bothers me.
You would think One would starve depending solely on selling corals

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the resident card carrying capitalist, I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. You as the consumer, Have the right to purchase it or not.

If the market of consumers supports the pricing, Then the market supports the pricing. I don't own an ASD holy Grail because I can't afford one. I'm not ticked at the people selling heads of it. I don't get ticked every time I drive by a Bugatti showroom cuz I can't afford it. That would be silly.. People still buy them.
If somebody selling a coral for a price you don't want to pay for it, That's completely their prerogative. They have purchased the coral themselves, grown and propagated it, and are selling it at a price supported by the market.

GIF by Towkio

knap_123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a seller on here who showed me love! Sold me a baby jb with red in it for $25 and a Sunkist for $25 and a nice little electus for $125 I think it was and threw in a feebie! And there doing great and getting bigger now after a few months. When others would of wanted $200 for just the jb ! There’s good sellers just got to be patient and wait is my experience. Took me a couple years but I’m glad I meet him!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the resident card carrying capitalist, I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. You as the consumer, Have the right to purchase it or not.

If the market of consumers supports the pricing, Then the market supports the pricing. I don't own an ASD holy Grail because I can't afford one. I'm not ticked at the people selling heads of it. I don't get ticked every time I drive by a Bugatti showroom cuz I can't afford it. That would be silly.. People still buy them.
If somebody selling a coral for a price you don't want to pay for it, That's completely their prerogative. They have purchased the coral themselves, grown and propagated it, and are selling it at a price supported by the market.

GIF by Towkio
Yep. Fish, coral, etc are luxury items and the market will treat them as such.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a seller on here who showed me love! Sold me a baby jb with red in it for $25 and a Sunkist for $25 and a nice little electus for $125 I think it was and threw in a feebie! And there doing great and getting bigger now after a few months. When others would of wanted $200 for just the jb ! There’s good sellers just got to be patient and wait is my experience. Took me a couple years but I’m glad I meet him!
Buying, selling, and trading with fellow hobbyists is the way to go for sure.

OP
OP
R

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GIF by Towkio

Maybe I'm not being clear. I'm fine with an ASD being $750. I'm fine with a coral cruze being $750. (Or more) Those HG have stood the test of time. They've grown in many tanks under lots of different lighting and parameters and are beautiful. They should command a higher price.
It's scumbags marking up wilds I have an issue with. Calling it capitalism doesn't make unethical behavior suddenly become ethical.

The reference to being mad at high priced items for being high priced misses the mark. A buggati is a luxury car and should sell for a high price. If I was trying to sell a Ford focus for the same price, that's me trying to rip off someone. I understand the buyer needs to do their due diligence but we should be able to atleast call out these people for what they are.

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GIF by Towkio
Honestly it's a good job not everyone thinks the same way as you it's kind of a blinkered way of looking at it. Imagine if everyone thought the same we'd have inflated prices everywhere and noone would be able to afford to buy anything!

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For you coral prices are unethically high, maybe for them what you are doing is priced unethically high.

I think we can all agree that many things which are much more important than corals are priced unethically high, like houses for example.

My main problem is not with selling @high prices, but if it's a business it should be taxed as other businesses.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 82 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back