Whats up with these nobodies who want to rip off everyone?

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be. But 25 is perty high coming out of a di . Thing is I let the water sit for a few hours and tested it again 17 could this be chlorine getting through.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing this out there - corals are colonial animals as we know and each polyp is an identical clone. Furthermore, some broadcast spawn their planula to the ocean currents. who's to say "the" Walt Disney tenuis hasn't settled in multiple spots and been found by more than one person? I understand lineage from the perspective of the discoverer, but without knowing the true expression of genetic phenotype of the coral you are purchasing (which is often far more complex and muddy than a "hobby name" accounts for) how can you say it's identical even when buying named frags? You're trusting the vendor also traced the lineage. It's like finding a flower color in the wild someone else found and named and saying "you can't call it that, even though genetically it might be identical". Not to mention many corals express their fluorescent proteins AND growth patterns radically different depending on source, nutrient level, and lighting, even within the same coral "name"

I understand I'm being semantic - or pedantic- here, but just food for thought.

In other words, if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and smells like one, does it matter THAT much? Perhaps people want to be sure they're getting what they're paying big bucks for, but if it looks identical, maybe the bigger problem is named corals are conflated with big bucks.

I've seen likely the same coral at three different vendors all with different names. Without that detailed genetic analysis, nobody can really say for sure with 100% veracity what they are getting unless they acquire it from the original vendor.

Heck, we aren't even sure if some of the acro species are separate or in a species complex yet.
All of this 100%

Which is why it makes no sense to me to pay big buck for some designer name.
For all the reasons you have elicited there is no more guarantee that you’re buy “jo Blow’s super sporty firebomb milliepora” than if you buy a piece of art without proof it’s the original you are buying…

What a con, and sadly people get sucked into it, a fool and their money are soon parted.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 30 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 114 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back