Whats up with these nobodies who want to rip off everyone?

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just untrue. There's a reason when you buy a Named coral from WWC, You'll likely never see it again. Every one of these houses obviously have their own signature aquaculture lines, but the bulk of what is being sold from shops and major coral resellers alike are wild collected.

Hobby to hobby sales are different and don't constitute a bulk of sales.
Interesting, I’ve asked my LFS (3 of them) if they ever get wild caught colonies anymore. they don’t want to mess with them and would rather buy ORA stuff.

Love to get some old school WC…

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I’ve asked my LFS (3 of them) if they ever get wild caught colonies anymore. they don’t want to mess with them and would rather buy ORA stuff.

Love to get some old school WC…
Who are they buying from? And where are you located?

I'm in the LA area. There are a Dozen importers here. Half a dozen big name sponsors here.

They are all slangin imported coral after cutting and hardening off a bit and of Course, giving it a Name.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who are they buying from? And where are you located?

I'm in the LA area. There are a Dozen importers here. Half a dozen big name sponsors here.

They are all slangin imported coral after cutting and hardening off a bit and of Course, giving it a Name.
I’m in the Daytona Beach area, once in a blue moon one shop will get wild caught, but they seem to come in looking like crap always..

WWC in orlando is about an hour away, I did snag some great frags from their Satellite store back in March that were real nice.

To me the names are just a marketing thing. I mean seriously how can you tell what line a coral came from unless you do some sort of genetic testing. Many look very similar and will have subtle changes from tank to tank.

All the names just kill me….

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the Daytona Beach area, once in a blue moon one shop will get wild caught, but they seem to come in looking like crap always..

WWC in orlando is about an hour away, I did snag some great frags from their Satellite store back in March that were real nice.

To me the names are just a marketing thing. I mean seriously how can you tell what line a coral came from unless you do some sort of genetic testing. Many look very similar and will have subtle changes from tank to tank.

All the names just kill me….
That's crazy to me that you never see WC. I would be interested to hear who your shops buy from.

The names are Just names, put on usually cherry picked wild collected corals

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's crazy to me that you never see WC. I would be interested to hear who your shops buy from.

The names are Just names, put on usually cherry picked wild collected corals
I’ll ask next time I’m in them.
The drive to winter park where the WWC satellite store was well worth it. Lots of very nice stuff, I would have really went nuts but the tank was an upgrade from a tank that had run for years and I wanted to make sure everything went well first..

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll ask next time I’m in them.
The drive to winter park where the WWC satellite store was well worth it. Lots of very nice stuff, I would have really went nuts but the tank was an upgrade from a tank that had run for years and I wanted to make sure everything went well first..
To be clear, I have nothing against WWC. I have a few WWC pieces that are Great. They all have names, and were sold until the colonies were gone, then Poof, another very similar one, with a different name appear.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For you coral prices are unethically high, maybe for them what you are doing is priced unethically high.

I think we can all agree that many things which are much more important than corals are priced unethically high, like houses for example.

My main problem is not with selling @high prices, but if it's a business it should be taxed as other businesses.
Have you been to the grocery store lately ??? Gas station ???

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious - why would anyone want 'this specific torch'. With lighting changes - I can make any torch look like one.
Supposing you could- what would you sell it for? I don’t have an ASD hg torch in my tank but I will say (or “Will say”… ASD joke for ya) that when i went to a local shop and looked at all sorts of high end torches side by side (Kung Fu Corals)- the ASD HG stood out… this was with Danny’s holy grails, bananas, tigers etc. side by side. note: I’m not a fan of ASD for personal reasons but stating facts- this “named” torch stood out in this independent shop side by side with other holy grail torches right next to it. In my tank I have different variants, all sitting on my sand bed getting the same par. Have their colors morphed? Sure, some but I can still tell them apart. I agree that the name game is silly and torches have recently been overpriced but seeing the market- $750 for an ASD HG torch is a steal. Why? Because someone would pay $1300 for that same head. And- based on what I’ve seen with my own eyes it truly stands apart. Would I pay $1300? No- but as long as someone will anything less is a bargain.

Ps- that ASD torch head was sold when I saw it.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With regards to the wild collected corals, I don't think many shops would reject them just because they're wild collected and I doubt many people would reject that one coral they really like just because it was wild collected although many would claim differently on a public forum. Shops also want to appear as sustainable as possible so I doubt all of them would be up front about having wild corals.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only topic this thread hasn’t broached is religion

Keep Going Never Stop GIF by Energizer Bunny

I’ll take a wack at that, UFOs are a new religion forming people don’t realize. We have witnesses to UFOs (i.e. angels) that are the Navy Pilots. We have the government (i.e. the church) saying there’s evidence of the higher beings. And there’s people who meditate to try to contact them (i.e. praying). And then of course the multitude of scams and different interpretations of historical events that come with any religion.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 96 44.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back