Whats up with these nobodies who want to rip off everyone?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supply and Demand. Perhaps if buyers stopped paying then prices would return normal or not. Consumers can't help themselves. Why inflation runs rampant for non-necessities. We keep paying.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supply and Demand. Perhaps if buyers stopped paying then prices would return normal or not. Consumers can't help themselves. Why inflation runs rampant for non-necessities. We keep paying.
Remember the supply side. People will stop selling if they can’t make a profit. or more likely is many would simply not sell because they believe they not willing to reduce price

It is only through the balance of the two can you still afford and able to buy from someone who makes money on the transaction.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in light of recent events....................
juxBVny.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is not accurate. We pay much more in sales tax due to not having a state income tax. Property taxes fund completely different things. Texas has historically had an overall lower cost of living than other states, but we're quickly catching up... Property values are rising almost exponentially in urban areas and since taxes are based on the property value, they go up each year as well. There are some protections in place, like property taxes on your primary residence can't increase more than 10% a year, but that only applies to property you already own... If you move, they will tax the "new" home based on full assessed value.
Actually, TX sales tax is similar to many other states - Including those with 8-9 percent income taxes. BTW - when you retire in TX, you don't pay any state income tax on your retirement accounts. Property taxes are increasing exponentially nearly everywhere. And most states have caps in place.
And you don't think the increased taxes and other increased costs the owner of the apartment complex now owes aren't passed on to the renter?? Of course they are.
Many states have a property tax rebate - and a rental rebate. I do not believe that TX does.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, TX sales tax is similar to many other states - Including those with 8-9 percent income taxes. BTW - when you retire in TX, you don't pay any state income tax on your retirement accounts. Property taxes are increasing exponentially nearly everywhere. And most states have caps in place.

Many states have a property tax rebate - and a rental rebate. I do not believe that TX does.
I’m in NJ. High sales, higher property, high income and high death taxes. No sympathy for anyone on this front

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I get an ASD HG torch for $750? In SD they fetch $1300 (legit lineage)- $750 is a deal! Look around- prices up everywhere… it’s past time for the gov. to stop printing money- if you think things are pricey now wait til the dollar is no longer the benchmark.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where can I get an ASD HG torch for $750? In SD they fetch $1300 (legit lineage)- $750 is a deal! Look around- prices up everywhere… it’s past time for the gov. to stop printing money- if you think things are pricey now wait til the dollar is no longer the benchmark.
I'm curious - why would anyone want 'this specific torch'. With lighting changes - I can make any torch look like one.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious - why would anyone want 'this specific torch'. With lighting changes - I can make any torch look like one.
You've said that now twice, doesn't make it any more true.

I'm sure you can color up an Indo Gold. Anyone with a stable system and decent lights can.

You're not pulling a run of the mill Indo Gold, into The quintessential Holy Grail torch that has been stabilized and holds its color in a wide variety of aquariums.

If you Can, then do it and sell them.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You've said that now twice, doesn't make it any more true.

I'm sure you can color up an Indo Gold. Anyone with a stable system and decent lights can.

You're not pulling a run of the mill Indo Gold, into The quintessential Holy Grail torch that has been stabilized and holds its color in a wide variety of aquariums.

If you Can, then do it and sell them.
You're not getting the point. There is no one forcing anyone to 'buy this torch' - or the new apex or 'name the newest thing'. What I was trying to say - is a couple things. My guess is that a LOT of corals being sold as 'this holy grail' are in fact likely 'not' and 2 that there is not a huge difference over time. You are correct, though, I'm not a 'torch expert' - and my strong guess is that if someone lined up 25 different torches with one 'holy grail' - most hobbyists would have no clue. But - (And I'm not trying to debate you) - you said it was (paraphrased string a falsehood) - then you said 'I'm sure you can color up an Indo Gold. Anyone with a stable system and decent lights can.' - which is, in fact what I (paraphrased) said. I'd be interested in the science behind the holy grail.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not getting the point. There is no one forcing anyone to 'buy this torch' - or the new apex or 'name the newest thing'. What I was trying to say - is a couple things. My guess is that a LOT of corals being sold as 'this holy grail' are in fact likely 'not' and 2 that there is not a huge difference over time. You are correct, though, I'm not a 'torch expert' - and my strong guess is that if someone lined up 25 different torches with one 'holy grail' - most hobbyists would have no clue. But - (And I'm not trying to debate you) - you said it was (paraphrased string a falsehood) - then you said 'I'm sure you can color up an Indo Gold. Anyone with a stable system and decent lights can.' - which is, in fact what I (paraphrased) said. I'd be interested in the science behind the holy grail.
We are in agreement. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy a specific coral, And there are a few look alikes. If that's what you were trying to say with:

"I'm curious - why would anyone want 'this specific torch'.With lighting changes - I can make any torch look like one."

That was completely lost on me. Those don't seem to be in the same ballpark of ideas.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember the supply side. People will stop selling if they can’t make a profit. or more likely is many would simply not sell because they believe they not willing to reduce price

It is only through the balance of the two can you still afford and able to buy from someone who makes money on the transaction.
Are people selling at higher prices because they can't meet required profits or benefiting from consumers believing they need to pay high prices? Since bulk of the industry today is domestically produced frags and not associated with the cost of wild caught supply chain then it's likely just greed driving prices. I can understand fish prices sky rocketing because supply chain issues have driven costs up but not that cut in house.

Been keeping fish since the 70s, salt since the 80s and spent time at a large transhipper with a substantial section devoted to reef and inverts in the 90s and today's captive frags seem considerably irrational to wild caught entire sections offered back then adjusted for inflation. Consumers might want to control their impulses. I'm guessing based on my background of finance that someone will still find advantageous to supply the industry even if margins were tightened because that thousand dollar torch now only fetches $99 or less. Don't get me started on $500 yellow tangs because we need algae eaters. Perhaps some mollies might help quench that itch.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are people selling at higher prices because they can't meet required profits or benefiting from consumers believing they need to pay high prices? Since bulk of the industry today is domestically produced frags and not associated with the cost of wild caught supply chain then it's likely just greed driving prices. I can understand fish prices sky rocketing because supply chain issues have driven costs up but not that cut in house.

Been keeping fish since the 70s, salt since the 80s and spent time at a large transhipper with a substantial section devoted to reef and inverts in the 90s and today's captive frags seem considerably irrational to wild caught entire sections offered back them adjusted for inflation. Consumers might want to control their impulses. I'm guessing based on my background of finance that someone will still find advantageous to supply the industry even if margins were tightened because that thousand dollar torch now only fetches $99 or less. Don't get me started on $500 yellow tangs because we need algae eaters. Perhaps some mollies might help quench that itch.
You are assuming the efficient market theory. Doesn’t matter their costs of production. If they don’t want to sell something for lower despite demand at lower prices…it won’t be sold. It is only when the price offered meets sellers minimum expectations. Simple answer that over time the costs sellers will sell at will be based upon what sellers offer…or it won’t sell. Too low a price for seller or too high a price for buyer.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build Back Better is another “GREEN” new deal for wiping out the value of the trillions our trading partner are holding, imo.

Market reaction- plan to->
Buy that Jebao -Jecod cheap labor knock-off before the dollar is worth a couple of Yuan.
We sold rental investment for fear of the taxes and rent control magicians here in CA government. We put a lot of sweat and money into the place to make it as comfortable a rental for tenants as possible and I was happy to do that. Drove my spouse crazy so she dumped it.
How did states provide educational opportunities for everyone back when there was no taxes? My poor parents paid their own way working as a maid/ housekeeper back in the day.
Now higher education is higher cost so folks need loans or rich uncles to pay tuition. We’re being sold into debt slavery with each new fed interest rate hike and utility rate increases.

Those elected bodies are the worst offenders in gouging folk.
Yes…exactly!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since bulk of the industry today is domestically produced frags and not associated with the cost of wild caught supply chain then it's likely just greed driving prices.
That's just untrue. There's a reason when you buy a Named coral from WWC, You'll likely never see it again. Every one of these houses obviously have their own signature aquaculture lines, but the bulk of what is being sold from shops and major coral resellers alike are wild collected.

Hobby to hobby sales are different and don't constitute a bulk of sales.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build Back Better is another “GREEN” new deal for wiping out the value of the trillions our trading partner are holding, imo.

Market reaction- plan to->
Buy that Jebao -Jecod cheap labor knock-off before the dollar is worth a couple of Yuan.
We sold rental investment for fear of the taxes and rent control magicians here in CA government. We put a lot of sweat and money into the place to make it as comfortable a rental for tenants as possible and I was happy to do that. Drove my spouse crazy so she dumped it.
How did states provide educational opportunities for everyone back when there was no taxes? My poor parents paid their own way working as a maid/ housekeeper back in the day.
Now higher education is higher cost so folks need loans or rich uncles to pay tuition. We’re being sold into debt slavery with each new fed interest rate hike and utility rate increases.

Those elected bodies are the worst offenders in gouging folk.
Not sure how old you are but I was the first person in my family to go to college. Paid my way and worked FT the entire time until I went to PA school where I wasn’t allowed to work so I had to borrow some money to do that. Mind you I didn’t seek a degree where I couldn’t find a job and the new job paid much more than the old one.

Bought my first house at 22 which was a duplex so I could rent one side and lower my costs. Did all the remodeling myself(with friends). I was one of the smartest things I did.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 115 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%

Back