Whats up with these nobodies who want to rip off everyone?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe it either. I just wanted to rant a little after going to an LFS and seeing multiple heads of ASD HG being sold by a brick and mortar for less than some random dude on FB selling wild HG. One shop I like to go to won't sell gold torches of any kind without a 3 month quarantine because the wilds melt so often. If you are in any FB euphyllia groups you'll see plenty of these wilds melting on new customers. I doubt there was a 3 month quarantine on them.

I don't expect everyone to feel the same way about it that I do, you can have your opinion and be just as right in your world as I am in mine. I carpooled for years with a vegetarian and I kill almost all the red meat our household eats. I certainly understand having a difference of opinion.
I think I know what you're trying to say which is that everyone should be able to enjoy the hobby without money being such an issue. You just went about explaining yourself in the wrong way early on which is why so many people felt the need to comment opposing views (some harsh, some fair).

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the resident card carrying capitalist, I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. You as the consumer, Have the right to purchase it or not.

If the market of consumers supports the pricing, Then the market supports the pricing. I don't own an ASD holy Grail because I can't afford one. I'm not ticked at the people selling heads of it. I don't get ticked every time I drive by a Bugatti showroom cuz I can't afford it. That would be silly.. People still buy them.
If somebody selling a coral for a price you don't want to pay for it, That's completely their prerogative. They have purchased the coral themselves, grown and propagated it, and are selling it at a price supported by the market.

GIF by Towkio
Thank you.

Also, if I "had to have a coral," I would still pay the premium to buy an aquacultured/hobbyist-grown coral than a wild one.

My local vendor has seen prices drop precipitously. Two things he attributes it to after years and years of selling: 1) corona restrictions are gone, and 2) the cyclical swing of summertime means fewer people interested in the hobby as they go out and about and do stuff = price drop.

When I witnessed just how much of a drop, I wanted to buy up a bunch of stuff (I didn't, by the way), but I now refuse to pay premiums unless I could justify it by rarity + source. Can I afford the prices? Yeah, but that isn't the point.

As a consumer, I get that choice. This isn't a mortgage, car loan, or tuition payment.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, so if you are a somebody the price is warranted? Everybody is a somebody in my book! Buying by the piece is expensive to sell, pack, and ship. Volume lowers the cost per item. Just a thought. You can buy by the box direct from several importers and take risk the shops take.

Last edited:

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally if you buy any torch for over $500 it's just crazy . I'll grab my light remote and turn any gold torch into whatever variant you want it to be . For about 90% of people you wouldn't know the difference . Some people just want to say well look I paid $ 500 for this torch it's ultra rare just to say that they did .

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally if you buy any torch for over $500 it's just crazy . I'll grab my light remote and turn any gold torch into whatever variant you want it to be . For about 90% of people you wouldn't know the difference . Some people just want to say well look I paid $ 500 for this torch it's ultra rare just to say that they did .
Ultra rare hand fed aquaculture’s super monochromatic rainbow holy grail of the gods coral

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people just feel special spending a lot of money on something that not everyone can afford. As such, there will be always be someone catering to those with the deep pockets.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't believe it either. I just wanted to rant a little after going to an LFS and seeing multiple heads of ASD HG being sold by a brick and mortar for less than some random dude on FB selling wild HG. One shop I like to go to won't sell gold torches of any kind without a 3 month quarantine because the wilds melt so often. If you are in any FB euphyllia groups you'll see plenty of these wilds melting on new customers. I doubt there was a 3 month quarantine on them.

I don't expect everyone to feel the same way about it that I do, you can have your opinion and be just as right in your world as I am in mine. I carpooled for years with a vegetarian and I kill almost all the red meat our household eats. I certainly understand having a difference of opinion.
My opinion only - very few people feel the way you do. If prices go up - it's supply and demand.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We can agree to have differences of opinions..as long as you agree that mine is right. ;)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I afford the prices? Yeah, but that isn't the point.

As a consumer, I get that choice. This isn't a mortgage, car loan, or tuition payment.
I wish I had had the foresight to finance all my coral purchases with cleverly written STUDENT LOANS!

With the current debt forgiveness, I might be able to buy a Ford Focus!

I think the idea; ~the love of money is the root of all evil, kinda impacts us all in different ways along the roads of life. We all feel it. Each year, the rich have to pay more taxes than I waste in gasoline when I drive to work. All that super expensive fuel money belongs in the aquarium hobby but the tax man stole it.

I solved this by getting a company car. hth.

Aging Growing Up GIF by Hilde Buiter

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not one to post this type of thread, but as of late I've seen a lot of sellers trying to ripoff buyers looking for torches. I can go to a store and get an ASD HG for around $750 or a wild type for around $400. I got a wild type last January for $450 from a sponsor here.

Every ad I open here or Facebook is looking for $800-900 for some random HG. It's disgusting.
Buying is optional. Are you going to pay that much for one? No? Then why does it matter?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this thread. We have touched on coral prices, housing, politics, supply and demand, cars, and student loans. About the only thing left is the price of tea in China.
Darn it. Now I want a raspberry zinger tea!!! Don’t think it is from China..but close enough.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone seen the post by WWC lately?

Wanting to rename a “Dragon Soul” favia coral because it looks like a face; bahahahaha. You would think someone like them would know it’ll out grow that.

They even admitted it’s a basic well known favia; but it has a “face” so they wanna put a different name on it so they can charge more!

Stay on your toes folks!!!

232C77A4-557E-444D-BAFC-D02688D6B208.png AD3F335F-D727-411D-B736-3AF5837CDB3B.jpeg 3827B58A-440A-46A7-B68C-678140AE729E.png

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Anyone seen the post by WWC lately?

Wanting to rename a “Dragon Soul” favia coral because it looks like a face; bahahahaha. You would think someone like them would know it’ll out grow that.

They even admitted it’s a basic well known favia; but it has a “face” so they wanna put a different name on it so they can charge more!

Stay on your toes folks!!!

232C77A4-557E-444D-BAFC-D02688D6B208.png AD3F335F-D727-411D-B736-3AF5837CDB3B.jpeg 3827B58A-440A-46A7-B68C-678140AE729E.png
I feel bad for the people who buy directly from WWC.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this thread. We have touched on coral prices, housing, politics, supply and demand, cars, and student loans. About the only thing left is the price of tea in China.
It all comes back to the same thing, Advertising and hype!
There is a tea in China "Da Hong Pao" that one internet site claims is worth 1.2 million/kilogram. (I don't know if that is million Dollars, English Pounds, or Yuan but lets pretend it's Farthing for this discussion?)

SO on line I can easily order 2 ounces of this tea for $40/ for a 2 ounce tin, a weight that is a tad less than .06 kilos which should fetch a sweet 60,000 Farthings. How is a 40 farthing price tag possible? ( Is this tea 'hot'?)

download (1).jpg
It is possible because they use the name of the expensive tea on their container but then pack the tin with 2 ounces of old-fashioned Oolong tea. I don't know if you can taste the difference but somehow I suspect that a tea drinker would notice some nuanced difference between the two beverages?

And that is basically the same thing as getting an average specimen in a urine cup. Some people don't feel good about consuming at the loser/lower end of the food chain when the ingrediencies are suspicious.

How about a paper straw with your beverage? :)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back