Whats up with these nobodies who want to rip off everyone?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just described what is actually going on in the world.

Just ask any random young couple wanting to buy a house without family inheritance/help.
Around here it seems to be the corporate buyers. They are buying up the homes and then renting the rooms for $1000/mo. You then have 3+ families living in a house and of course parking up and down the street blocking mailboxes. The USPS has been sending out notices saying they are not going to deliver mail to mailboxes with cars in front of them. The corporate buyers are driving up the prices really bad. They are cold calling people here and offering $100k to $150k in cash as a bonus if you sell your home to them at the going market rate.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around here it seems to be the corporate buyers. They are buying up the homes and then renting the rooms for $1000/mo. You then have 3+ families living in a house and of course parking up and down the street blocking mailboxes. The USPS has been sending out notices saying they are not going to deliver mail to mailboxes with cars in front of them. The corporate buyers are driving up the prices really bad. They are cold calling people here and offering $100k to $150k in cash as a bonus if you sell your home to them at the going market rate.
Has happened here in also Florida.
plucky for me I’ve owned the same place for 4 years and have a rental for 15.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, gas used to be a $1 gallon now it is $4 . I will stop there. Yt $50 now $300. Thank you covid!
In CA it’s
That's not entirely fair, and you've created a false dichotomy with the options being only, 1) giving something away, or 2) trying to make a fortune.

As a hobbyist, I would never feel comfortable accepting a free coral from another reefer. I expect to pay something, or trade for another piece. Likewise, unless I know the person very well and am essentially gifting them a frag, I expect to get something for the frags I sell... Certainly it's a fraction of even a reasonable market value, but many in the hobby don't have the luxury of being able to buy whatever they want, and charging a little $ for frags allows them to then buy more livestock, supplies, or equipment themselves, whether from a hobbyist or from a store.

Edit: like @Gatorpa, I regularly give away freebies to people who buy things from me
That's not entirely fair, and you've created a false dichotomy with the options being only, 1) giving something away, or 2) trying to make a fortune.

As a hobbyist, I would never feel comfortable accepting a free coral from another reefer. I expect to pay something, or trade for another piece. Likewise, unless I know the person very well and am essentially gifting them a frag, I expect to get something for the frags I sell... Certainly it's a fraction of even a reasonable market value, but many in the hobby don't have the luxury of being able to buy whatever they want, and charging a little $ for frags allows them to then buy more livestock, supplies, or equipment themselves, whether from a hobbyist or from a store.

Edit: like @Gatorpa, I regularly give away freebies to people who buy things from me
I have given away fish, anemones, coral to a former LFS employee who has his own business cleaning and taking care of peoples tanks. If something doesn’t agree with my tank or if I change it up, I’d rather the animals go to him or one of his clients. To a good home.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't know me. I will be selling frags of my wild HG at the Lancaster frag swap in January. Even though I paid $450 for 1 head it will take me selling 2 heads to break even.

Maybe you didn't read my posts. I don't have a frag tank. I go in and trim once a year. Those pieces need to sell so I don't have frags in my tank.

And I'm not advocating for people to sell as cheap as me.
No i dont know you and I apologize if you took that as a personally directed comment. it was not. It was making a point that people are going to sell things based on what they want to do and what they want to receive. They are not going to do market comparisons to ensure that who they are selling to gets a 'fair deal'.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude in NYC I'm paying 38% more a month for my place then when I moved in 2 years ago haha and the craziest part is I'm getting a good deal compared to the current market.

OP
OP
R

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude in NYC I'm paying 38% more a month for my place then when I moved in 2 years ago haha and the craziest part is I'm getting a good deal compared to the current market.
As a landlord, I can tell you that our yearly expenses go up so rent has to go up. I try to keep my yearly raises at an amount that covers the known increases with a small cushion for the extras that will come.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As a landlord, I can tell you that our yearly expenses go up so rent has to go up. I try to keep my yearly raises at an amount that covers the known increases with a small cushion for the extras that will come.
Bro hahaha, that is notttt what's happening in NYC. There's no supply and landlords are testing what they can get away with. The expenses to house me are not up 38% when I'm paying the electric bill.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro hahaha, that is notttt what's happening in NYC. There's no supply and landlords are testing what they can get away with. The expenses to house me are not up 38% when I'm paying the electric bill.
And that's why they are gobbling up houses in Vermont right now...can buy a decent place with land for what city/burb places go for. My parent's old saltbox outside of Boston is worth a million dollars now.

It hasn't sold for that but that's what the market says it's worth. My small Vermont home is valued at 175,000 last I checked, but last appraised at 107,000.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not one to post this type of thread, but as of late I've seen a lot of sellers trying to ripoff buyers looking for torches. I can go to a store and get an ASD HG for around $750 or a wild type for around $400. I got a wild type last January for $450 from a sponsor here.

Every ad I open here or Facebook is looking for $800-900 for some random HG. It's disgusting.
I couldn't resist - apparently you are one to post this type of thread - no offense it was a joke. Truth be told - no one forces anyone to buy anything. Shipping costs have skyrocketed. Electricity costs have skyrocketed. Etc etc. If you don't want the coral - don't buy it. Then prices will come down. I think a lot of pricing relates to vendors fearing that their supply can 'end' quickly - due to bans, etc - so they are raising prices (making hay while the sun shines). It's not disgusting. It's reality IMHO. Go try to buy a parrot - that could be bought for $200 a couple of years ago.... Its reality (again IMHO)

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't resist - apparently you are one to post this type of thread - no offense it was a joke. Truth be told - no one forces anyone to buy anything. Shipping costs have skyrocketed. Electricity costs have skyrocketed. Etc etc. If you don't want the coral - don't buy it. Then prices will come down. I think a lot of pricing relates to vendors fearing that their supply can 'end' quickly - due to bans, etc - so they are raising prices (making hay while the sun shines). It's not disgusting. It's reality IMHO. Go try to buy a parrot - that could be bought for $200 a couple of years ago.... Its reality (again IMHO)
STOP!! Stop talking common sense. I dont appreciate it!! The man...he is evil!! Dont you know that owning coral at cheap prices is a human right?!?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...I can't believe this thread has gone on for so long...thought it was well understood (as others pointed out) that this hobby is a pure luxury...a high prices luxury at that. There are very few things that should be price controlled in life...I can't think of any off the top of my head right now but I'm sure there are some...this hobby is as much of a luxury as gold or a diamond ring, both of which people generally just accept the price of.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...I can't believe this thread has gone on for so long...thought it was well understood (as others pointed out) that this hobby is a pure luxury...a high prices luxury at that. There are very few things that should be price controlled in life...I can't think of any off the top of my head right now but I'm sure there are some...this hobby is as much of a luxury as gold or a diamond ring, both of which people generally just accept the price of.
If it wasnt this thread, it would have been another. I see a few of these a month.

Honestly..it is only as expensive as you make it. You can get into this hobby dirt cheap if you are savy and frugal (swap meets, garage sales, craigslist). You can have an entire set up for couple hundred bucks which you can be proud of even if it is used. Chasing the top pieces of coral and the top end equipment is what drives the expensive stuff higher but if you are willing to 'settle', you can have a great hobby at a not too expensive price.

OP
OP
R

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe it either. I just wanted to rant a little after going to an LFS and seeing multiple heads of ASD HG being sold by a brick and mortar for less than some random dude on FB selling wild HG. One shop I like to go to won't sell gold torches of any kind without a 3 month quarantine because the wilds melt so often. If you are in any FB euphyllia groups you'll see plenty of these wilds melting on new customers. I doubt there was a 3 month quarantine on them.

I don't expect everyone to feel the same way about it that I do, you can have your opinion and be just as right in your world as I am in mine. I carpooled for years with a vegetarian and I kill almost all the red meat our household eats. I certainly understand having a difference of opinion.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only charge what people are willing to throw down stacks for. If people weren’t buying them the price would drop.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through eBay, agreed on a price for a used skimmer. Drive an Hour to get there. He raised the price over what was originally advertised. I reported him to eBay, and just got their Canned Reply. Luckily I had a stop on the way back at a LFS.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through eBay, agreed on a price for a used skimmer. Drive an Hour to get there. He raised the price over what was originally advertised. I reported him to eBay, and just got their Canned Reply. Luckily I had a stop on the way back at a LFS.
I had the reverse happen to me when I sold a table on facebook marketplace. Agreed on $150, the lady showed up and said she'll take it. As she is handing me the money, she tells me she only has $130.... Then asked me to unload it for her at her place since she lives alone.... I felt bad and just wanted to get rid of the table, but man that was annoying

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 84 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.3%
Back