What's wrong with my RBTA?

Victoria Badilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I need help in determining what's wrong with my RBTA. I fed it with cyclops for the first time this morning, I always feed it with shrimp or mussel, and somehow it started moving from its original place and been like this the whole day.

The tips seem fine and my clownfish still hosting in it but I honestly don't know what's wrong with its body. I have attached a photo of my RBTA. Is this normal?

I have 8 months old 20G tank and currently using 30w LED, my water temp is 28C. My salinity is normal. And i use NSR for water change.

Hope to hear feedbacks from you guys.

Thank you in advance!
File 22-10-2017, 7 46 08 PM.jpeg

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it is moving. Like you said. I looks like that trying to find a place to burrow down. The bigger it gets the better chance it has to find a spot it likes.

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it? It is bleached.

It may just be moving to find a better place if it is a new addition, or it may be moving to try to get away from something causing it stress. How big are the clowns?

This is a 20 gallon H or L? what is your light (I do see the 30w LED)? What do you have for water flow?

OP
OP
Victoria Badilla

Victoria Badilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it? It is bleached.

It may just be moving to find a better place if it is a new addition, or it may be moving to try to get away from something causing it stress. How big are the clowns?

This is a 20 gallon H or L? what is your light (I do see the 30w LED)? What do you have for water flow?

Hi Lance!

I have it for two months now. I put it on top of a rock and didn't leave until this morning when I fed it with cyclops. Not sure if I poked it harder than I should. :( I have small clownfish so its not really a problem even before.

I use two panels of LED lights (blue and white) each have 21.6 but I don't use the white of the other panel because I know it might be too strong for my aquarium. I have a wave maker and a powerhead.

Axe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it has very short tentacles which can be a sign of starvation. The color is also lacking which can also be a sign of starvation. Bta's get most if not all of their nutrition from lighting (I know this is highly debated ) and judging by what you listed as a light source this is more than likely your issue. It could be a number of things but from what I've seen and experienced lighting is the main cause of issues with Bta's. They require a good amount of lighting, would say a 150 par at minimum. I would try placing it as close to the light source as possible for now and look into whether your light is sufficient asap. You can also list water parameters so if someone sees an issue with them, they can help. Good luck!

OP
OP
Victoria Badilla

Victoria Badilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0-02-06-994ccb6ed6a5b58d5042f34661c41bdc7152f71e3d20cce75ca167d80728ff0c_full.jpg

This was my RBTA this morning before it moved. It didn't move from the moment i put it in my tank. So i was really surprised it moved today.

Also a question, since i am new into this, what is bleached anemone? When i got my RBTA (2months ago) they didn't explain that part.

Thank you very much for all the replies.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bleached nem is one that has lost a good portion of the population of zoos. Which live in the tissue and help support the nem as well as give it color. They expel them for many reasons....too hot, too much light, salinitys wrong, or other parameters are off.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feed it?

You mentioned you poked it. How do you physically get the food to the nem?

OP
OP
Victoria Badilla

Victoria Badilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feed it?

You mentioned you poked it. How do you physically get the food to the nem?

Hi Amoo!

I spot feed my corals, but this morning, I accidentally "poked it" (for lack of a better word) because suddenly my rbta retracted. That's when it started to walk around. Do you think its because of that incident?

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Amoo!

I spot feed my corals, but this morning, I accidentally "poked it" (for lack of a better word) because suddenly my rbta retracted. That's when it started to walk around. Do you think its because of that incident?

It's possible, what I'm asking is what do you physically use to spot feed? Like do you use a skewer and let it take it off....etc?

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0-02-06-994ccb6ed6a5b58d5042f34661c41bdc7152f71e3d20cce75ca167d80728ff0c_full.jpg

This was my RBTA this morning before it moved. It didn't move from the moment i put it in my tank. So i was really surprised it moved today.

Also a question, since i am new into this, what is bleached anemone? When i got my RBTA (2months ago) they didn't explain that part.

Thank you very much for all the replies.
I think it looks fine. It just appears it is moving and wants to find a new home. They like to burrow their foot in crevices inside a rock. I like to get a medium sized rock that has several crevices/ holes in it and place the anemone in it. Then, if it attaches and seems to like a spot, I just move the rock to where I want it. But, the anemone is going to go where it wants to go!

Back