What's wrong with my WBTA?

Tainum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this Watermelon bubble tip for probably 6 months or longer now. Was fast settling when I first got it, didn't shrink up too much, ate quickly after acclimating, and my clowns took to it within a week and have always bounced and slept in it. Over the past couple months, it's been shrunken down and sucked up. The clowns will brush up against it to try to get it to open and it refuses. I've tried lowering the lighting, adjusting it's position in the rock work by rotating it around. It's never detached and tried to move itself EVER. I currently have a Nicrew 100W light on the tank that I'm only running at about 60% currently. If I thought it wanted higher light, I'd figure it would reach it's tentacles higher, but being sucked up, I dont see how that would be the case. Here's my water measurements:
Nitrate - <5 ppm
ph - 8.2
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
phosphate - < .50
Alkalinity - 9.0
calcium 525
temperature 76-78
As far as flow goes, I have a Icecap 2k that only runs 19%-33% throughout the day and then slows at night. I feed the Anemone music probably once every 2 weeks or so mixed with AB+ or Reef Roids.
I included some before and after pictures.

IMG_20210731_104855.jpg IMG_20210609_072342.jpg IMG_20210224_073449.jpg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you need to increase lighting. The nem looks bleached, thought it actually looks like it's got more color in the last photo.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I totally agree with with D. WBTA aren’t white. They are green -brown. Those colors represent the living algae inside the anemone that makes up the majority of their food. A bleaching nem is a starving nem. Safely feed your tank more and bump up your lights. It may take a week or two but you will see it color up. (Purposely bought a bleached Long Tentacle from a lfs and saved it.) It works. Good luck.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its bubbled up like that, it was more likely shock from too much light than not enough. I have more BTAs than I can count. The ones in low light don't bleach, they just stop growing. But the only one I think I may have bleached somehow is an Arizona sunburst. It happened because the tank was fishless for too long and nitrates went to zero. The lighting was also higher than my other tanks. The pigment in the skin remains when bleached, hence the purple tips, but the nem becomes transparent under it. Feed it brine shrimp or mysis twice per week and to zooxanthellae may come back. If it doesn't, you will have to spot feed it forever to keep it alive.

Also, I just introduced a watermelon and a different green one to a tank and the watermelon is hiding under a rock, while the other is on top. I don't think watermelons like as high of light as some. It make sense because they have lass skin pigment, which is the equivalent of a sun tan for us humans. It protects the zooxanthellae from excessive light. Its best to give it bright light, but also a place to hide so it can move and pick for itself. Increasing light levels too fast is the quickest way to kill zooxanthellae, so always start low and work up with new nems.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back