whats you method of a frag tank?

orthokardia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
egg crate and plugs with 4xT5 over 48x12x12. moderate flow and mostly SPS with the few LPS/softies on the glass bottom

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 long plumbed into my main tank with a Mag 2. 2 maxijets and a koralia for flow (I drowned my Mp10). Lighting is 2/3 T5 with LED fixture by nano-box over one end for the SPS. Magnetic Acrylic frag racks for flexibility. Sailfin tang to eat algae and to watch over my frags :)

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running two frag tanks. For the larger of the two, I'm using an independently plumbed 40B lit by an 8 bulb T5 setup running a mixture of Blue+, Aquablue Special, and Purple+ bulbs. For filtration I'm using an old AquaC Remora Pro and running a TLF 150 with GFO. I dose 2 part manually, but also have a Kalk reactor that runs a few times throughout the day for 10 minute periods. Flow is provided by a koralia 4, a MJ1200 with sureflow mod, a Koralia Nano 425 and a Seio 820. I hate the look of BB tanks, so I have some sand in there (strictly for aesthetics) and a few large pieces of live rock for biological filtration. Frag racks are a mixture of acrylic DIY racks, a few magnetic acrylic racks hung on the sides of the tank and a couple pieces of egg crate. The CUC consists of scarlet reef hermits, blue leg hermits, astrea snails, nasarius snails, and mexican turbos. The only other livestock is a B&W Oscellaris and a purple pseudochromis... both of which were exiled from my DT.

The smaller tank is a 16x16x8 acrylic tank plumbed into my DT fed by a mag 5 and lit by a Cree DIY setup consisting of 12 royals blues and 6 cool white diodes. Additional flow is provided by a MJ900 and the frag rack is made of egg crate. This tank is BB due to the large amount of flow, and there is nothing for livestock except fox a mixture of a few snails.

Snprhed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 96"X24"X10" grow tank with eggcrate. Flow is from a dart pump that goes to a manifold and splits it into 3 inputs. Two of the split lines go to eductors and one goes to a large sea swirl. Lighting is two 250w halides and one 400w. I also skimm heavily, 225 gallons of total volume with an etss 1500 skimmer, capable of tanks up to 1500 gallons.

Chad what has been your experience with the LED's and the SPS?

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22x22 tank that is about 8" deep. It is plumbed in to my main tank but can be isolated to become a QT, if needed. I mount the frags to rubble or concrete frag plugs and place them on the bottom. I was using black egg crate with a nice acrylic stand, but way too much bubble algae was attaching in the corners of the egg crate. I keep a mix of SPS and LPS and use a few snails and hermits to try and keep things clean.

larryl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25x25x12 tied into my main with a mp20 and a water blaster hy-3000 for flow. Its lit up by a evolution 120watt 20k. Frag racks from the blue glow!

OP
OP
chadfarmer

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 96"X24"X10" grow tank with eggcrate. Flow is from a dart pump that goes to a manifold and splits it into 3 inputs. Two of the split lines go to eductors and one goes to a large sea swirl. Lighting is two 250w halides and one 400w. I also skimm heavily, 225 gallons of total volume with an etss 1500 skimmer, capable of tanks up to 1500 gallons.

Chad what has been your experience with the LED's and the SPS?

my whole system is run off leds works for me

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back