What's your favorite small fish for a reef?

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we're recommending dottybacks can we recommend damsels too? My Kupang yellow-belly damsels turned out to be pretty fun. I have a breeding trio in my 20 gallon and a duo in my 8 gallon. All 5 didn't work together though.

A Springer's damsel would be a good single addition. They aren't too feisty and they eat flatworms. You'll sometimes see them in frag tanks at coral stores for this purpose.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 clowns, a watchmen and a sharknose cleaner.

2 clowns, a watchmen and a sharknose cleaner.
In my 140 I have some small fish too, neon goby, royal gramma(aka Fairy Basslet) , orchid dottyback( aka purple dotty) , clown fish ( i have 8 right now) purple firefish, fire goby.
Hope this helps, the rest are sligh
I am building a 300 gallon right now to replace my 140..

Wow...8 clowns and the Royal Gramma is still in existence? I guess with 8 she (the beauty that she is) has learned her place....fascinating. lots of hiding spots I assume....congrats on this , we'd love to see a pic or 2....
yes lots of hiding places ,but they all really get along in the 140 which I put up May 2020 and I already got the upgrade itch. The rest of the fish in the 140 are slightly bigger, yellow tang, cardinal pj fish, a cleaner shrimp and a coral banded shrimp. We are ecited to get this 300 done but we are taking our time to do it all right.
I will take some pic tomorrow for you

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#WelcometoR2R

One of my favorite fish is the fire fish. Colorful, peaceful when kept as a single, usually easy to care for. Only thing is they can be shy and hide.
They are beautiful fish but I haven’t been able to keep them from flying without covering my tanks .

Sigmund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Creeper behind the Jawfish. Geometric Hawkfish. Reef safe if u don’t include sexy shrimp or a shrimp of that size.

Sigmund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 361824DE-6C84-4A22-9749-BFB4CD829F03.jpeg
    361824DE-6C84-4A22-9749-BFB4CD829F03.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 67

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 140 I have some small fish too, neon goby, royal gramma(aka Fairy Basslet) , orchid dottyback( aka purple dotty) , clown fish ( i have 8 right now) purple firefish, fire goby.
Hope this helps, the rest are sligh
I am building a 300 gallon right now to replace my 140..

yes lots of hiding places ,but they all really get along in the 140 which I put up May 2020 and I already got the upgrade itch. The rest of the fish in the 140 are slightly bigger, yellow tang, cardinal pj fish, a cleaner shrimp and a coral banded shrimp. We are ecited to get this 300 done but we are taking our time to do it all right.
I will take some pic tomorrow for you
Awesome. I float between 5 and 6 fish in my 90, that's my magic numbers. Currently Yellow Tang , Ocellaris, 3 stripe Damsel ( all of them over 15 years), Coral Beauty (3 years) , and most recent Eibli Angel. A royal Gramma again would really give some spike of colour to the tank. Look forward to the pics.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I float between 5 and 6 fish in my 90, that's my magic numbers. Currently Yellow Tang , Ocellaris, 3 stripe Damsel ( all of them over 15 years), Coral Beauty (3 years) , and most recent Eibli Angel. A royal Gramma again would really give some spike of colour to the tank. Look forward to the pics.
I am looking forward to the 300 reef tank, I want to add like 4 yellow tangs(5 total), a copper band butterfly, a group of blue and green chromis, flame angel, a gem tang if I can get my hands on one for a good price.

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Whoa, that's my magic number in my 90 too! I keep smaller stuff though. 2 ocellaris clowns, a flame hawkfish, a mandarin, a clown goby, and until recently a flasher wrasse.

Oh, OP, flasher wrasses if you have the space for them to swim!

What's the price range? Can I suggest a candy basslet?

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa, that's my magic number in my 90 too! I keep smaller stuff though. 2 ocellaris clowns, a flame hawkfish, a mandarin, a clown goby, and until recently a flasher wrasse.

I had a flasher wrasse and he got pretty bossy over the tank and he had to go back to the store....

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What's the price range? Can I suggest a candy basslet?
Great minds both think and capitulate ( at least in my case after trying higher numbers ) alike! It's a tough size right? You are almost there in keeping the large fish (tried it and Yellow is biggest which for me is ok) , but you / I always probably wish just a bit larger lol. I have always wanted a Flame Hawk.....is this #6? Has to be special....I will wait a bit as the Eibli was recently added ( 6 months wait for me Mr. Cautious), but..........

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great minds both think and capitulate ( at least in my case after trying higher numbers ) alike! It's a tough size right? You are almost there in keeping the large fish (tried it and Yellow is biggest which for me is ok) , but you / I always probably wish just a bit larger lol. I have always wanted a Flame Hawk.....is this #6? Has to be special....I will wait a bit as the Eibli was recently added ( 6 months wait for me Mr. Cautious), but..........

Haha no kidding! It definitely is a tough size. I always wondered if a tang of any kind would push my balance. The tank is full of coral and I've had enough unpredictable incompatibility with dwarf angels and corals that I won't try them anymore. Maybe a tang though...those eiblii mimics are really cool, but kind of big. I can probably squeeze a Zebrasoma in though! It might have some stiff competition for food. I buy money cowries every chance I get.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha no kidding! It definitely is a tough size. I always wondered if a tang of any kind would push my balance. The tank is full of coral and I've had enough unpredictable incompatibility with dwarf angels and corals that I won't try them anymore. Maybe a tang though...those eiblii mimics are really cool, but kind of big. I can probably squeeze a Zebrasoma in though! It might have some stiff competition for food. I buy money cowries every chance I get.
Tang (Yellow), perhaps a Kole with enough live rock to graze I think you good to go. Problem is the Yellows have gotten so pricey lately, bought mine 16 years ago bout 3.5 inches for 30 bucks, they are easily 3 times that now. These money Cowries also hearing good things....although my CUC is voracious. 3 urchins, Sea Cuc, Hermits, Trochus , Astria, Mex Turbos, serpent Star, sand sift stars....as we hijack the thread lol. Sorry op.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang (Yellow), perhaps a Kole with enough live rock to graze I think you good to go. Problem is the Yellows have gotten so pricey lately, bought mine 16 years ago bout 3.5 inches for 30 bucks, they are easily 3 times that now. These money Cowries also hearing good things....although my CUC is voracious. 3 urchins, Sea Cuc, Hermits, Trochus , Astria, Mex Turbos, serpent Star, sand sift stars....as we hijack the thread lol. Sorry op.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi CanuckReefer, here is the pictures I promised of 8 clowns in one tank with Fairy Basslet, tank, purple dottyback , cardinals, a damsel, neon goby etc.
Its only a pic of a portion of the tank I was trying to get close up of the 8 clowns.

140 tank pic 1.jpg 140 tank pic 2.jpg

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi CanuckReefer, here is the pictures I promised of 8 clowns in one tank with Fairy Basslet, tank, purple dottyback , cardinals, a damsel, neon goby etc.
Its only a pic of a portion of the tank I was trying to get close up of the 8 clowns.

140 tank pic 1.jpg 140 tank pic 2.jpg
Now THAT'S a brood! Bravo....

NYBumkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a sharknose goby... he is super cool and little. Posts up on the back glass, rocks, loves frozen foods.

jcherr007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown gobies are highly underrated as well. You can add multiple if they are different colors (e.g. green/warpaint and yellow), but beware if adding multiple of the same color!

I've had my green for 9 years now. His name is Gobias (pronounced similar to "Tobias"). The clown gobies often associate with corals.

Phone 374.jpg
He’s gotta be one of my favorites,, right up there is the green banded gobie for me as well..

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back