What's your favorite thing about your LFS?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, y'all! Time to brag on your LFS!

What is your favorite thing about them. OR what is something you wish they would do?
aaaaand....go!
I wish my lfs would have a honest frag tank and have more than 20 frags.
I also wish that the lfs didn't look like a thrift store with fish thrown in the mix. Seriously paper lights,stuffed animals, cards (hallmark), Handmade jewelry and nonsense like that. Hard to take a lfs seriously.

My lfs gm is amazing friendly and dedicated. Thats what I love

OP
OP
Austin Lee

Austin Lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish my lfs would have a honest frag tank and have more than 20 frags.
I also wish that the lfs didn't look like a thrift store with fish thrown in the mix. Seriously paper lights,stuffed animals, cards (hallmark), Handmade jewelry and nonsense like that. Hard to take a lfs seriously.

My lfs gm is amazing friendly and dedicated. Thats what I love

Makes sense! I personally love when a store is clean and orderly. If you take care of the store, I tend to have more faith in the livestock you carry.

Steve Elb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, y'all! Time to brag on your LFS!

What is your favorite thing about them. OR what is something you wish they would do?

aaaaand....go!
Jeff at A License to Krill Aquatics in Santa Cruz runs a 1st class operation. Clean, organized with a nice collection of corals. He also quarantines all the fish is super knowledgable and a chill dude to boot. I'm new to the hobby...have done fresh most of my life and he's walked me through a 25 IM that is by and large successful with the normal issues. Right now I'm setting up a 100 gallon system...so yeah I'm enjoying the hobby. Never though I'd be plumbing a fish tank!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mine because it's so close . Like 10 minute drive close .That's about it though. I go for dry goods ,stuff like salt 2 prt solution, has a fair selection of meds ,not so hot on the livestock. My fav is way & the heck on the other side of town .

I just wish The fish looked better . Every once in a while I'll see one that looks nice & fat.However a fish I want that looks good is rare indeed.

Last edited:

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt at Aquatic Jewels in Ft. Lauderdale and his staff are wonderful. The store is always clean and organized, even when their people are attending to their many tanks if a customer walks in they greet them and ask if they can help. As a newbie I had a million questions and no matter how ridiculous the questions were they answered all of them over the course of several trips to the store before I made my purchase. Since installing my RS Reefer 250 I have made frequent visits to the store and they still take the time to make sure that I am being helped and totally understand everything before I leave. I also like the fact that they don't try to push product!!!

Prior to buying from them I visited four other LFS in my area and had mixed feelings when I left them.
When I went to one LFS it was mid afternoon on a Monday and the store was totally empty. The salesperson there wasn't interested in speaking to me when it became obvious that I was on a fact finding mission and wasn't ready to make a purchase and I walked out, shame on them!

Last edited:

Rhydder_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple in my town and neither are really worth wild. One has OK corals but the staff are arrogant a******* and the other has better products (fish,coral,etc..) but just wants to push product. I purposely ask questions to see if they know and they will tell me what ever I want to hear just to make a sale. I asked them the other day, "will that clown tang (4-5 inch) be ok in a 40 gallon?" Answer, "it sure will!". I, by no means claim to know everything, but I know that's not going to fly.
Their is a trusted store about an hour away i'll hit up from time to time.

Salps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time I went into my LFS the owner told another customer they would not sell that other person a fish because they knew what other fish they had and it would just die. I decided that is the type of store I want to support.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back