What's your MAINTENANCE routine?

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your floss/pad set up? Im in the process of switching to filter pads instead of floss, but I find that floss is somewhat easier to remove from the sump than the pads because pads will leak a bunch of stuff... do you separate them? are they touching? just looking for someone else' advice thanks!
I use an aquaclear 70 hob filter with an intank media basket. Probably not helpful advice if you’re using a sump...

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an aquaclear 70 hob filter with an intank media basket. Probably not helpful advice if you’re using a sump...
Nah I appreciate the reply back. :)

So you run the floss under the filter pad? since the HOB flows from the bottom up? And move the pad to get to the floss daily?

BobT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly 10% water change, new floss every 3 days (replaced filer bags with media cups for floss), clean skimmer cup when replacing floss (skimmer in the way so I need to remove cup anyway), gravel vac once per month, rotate chaeto daily, test parameters weekly w/hanna checkers, kalkwasser in ATO tank, clean glass as needed, soak and clean powerheads every other month (just put in bucket of citric acid and let run overnight), make 40 gallons RODI and saltwater twice per month. 99% of the time I enjoy the maintenance duties :)

TN_Huskymama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10% water change every two to three weeks using store bought ocean water.
Canister cleaned every two to three weeks. I have bioballs in my canister along with carbon and filter pad. Not a lot of fish so it doesn’t get terribly soiled that fast.
Clean glass of HOB refugium once a month.
Water parameter checks weekly.
Clean back glass once a week.
Empty HOB skimmer once a week or more if needed. Usually when it gets half full. I can remember what brand it is but if I don’t adjust the red knobs just right it will fill too fast with water.

I seem to lose a gallon of water a day on evaporation though so I am topping off manually every other day. What a pain! I am hoping to add an autotopoff system once I get my sump setup, but I will still have to fill that frequently too so I am not sure if it’s worth purchasing? The tank is not close to a water source.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your floss/pad set up? Im in the process of switching to filter pads instead of floss, but I find that floss is somewhat easier to remove from the sump than the pads because pads will leak a bunch of stuff... do you separate them? are they touching? just looking for someone else' advice thanks!
I use both pads and floss pads first then the floss on top to keep the pads from clogging and then I remove everything at the same time folding the pad in a biat like shape as I remove it

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Daily visual inspection of ATO container, skimmer, CO2 scrubber, filter socks, glass....(fill, drain, swap, clean.. as needed)
  • 3X daily feedings of LRS Reef Frenzy
  • 2X daily Seaweed sheets
  • 1X daily dosing of AB+ for corals and ChaetoGro for refugium
  • Weekly ~ 10% water changes with sand vac / water removal - keeping detritus from building-up.
  • Swap power heads and return pump every 2 months with spares
  • Swap Skimmer and heater elements every 4 months with spares
  • Swap Calcium Reactor every 6 months with spare
In summary: Not for the faint of heart ;-)

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t done a water change in at least two months. Like seriously, atm I don’t need it. My nitrates and phosphates aren’t going up (0s all around) and the algae levels are meh (crab and snail food). I generally feed twice per day, Omega One Pellets in the morning and Marine Cuisine at night. I do over feed some, but I have hundreds of feather worms and clams to worry about. The three peppermint shrimp and various crabs, snails, and bristle worms get the rest. Lights on at 8:30 AM and off at 8:30 PM (I think?) Glass scraping and cleaning filters/me as needed. I usually run some carbon or a tiny bit of ChemiPure and started with filter floss again. Detritus gets blown by the baster once in a while, just for the filter feeders. I will also be getting and maintaining a phytoplankton culture soon (just waiting for Amazon)! Here’s a pic of my pride and joy:
1605588526769.jpeg

arussellnsg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about this a lot, and water changes scare me now. I am more worried about salinity not exactly the same, temperature not the same, and dumping water in and stirring up the tank. Seems traumatic. So, I usually just clean the sand bed with water into a sock back into sump. Maybe 10% change semi-annually because I feel guilty. Tank is fantastic. Never better.
I'm the same way! Last time I did a water change, like 5 months ago, I lost 2 fish, this was before any coral. My fish now and my coral now are doing so good, I did break down and got a quality RODI system professionally installed and doing the ATO. I also look at my ACAN to tell me if my parameters are off ;)

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the same way! Last time I did a water change, like 5 months ago, I lost 2 fish, this was before any coral. My fish now and my coral now are doing so good, I did break down and got a quality RODI system professionally installed and doing the ATO. I also look at my ACAN to tell me if my parameters are off ;)
Sometimes using your tank inhabitants to tell you whats going on is the best way to go!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back