What's Your Powerheads/Wavemakers Recommendations?

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to replace some powerheads on my 8ft 240gal. I was wondering what everyone else uses and what they think of them. I currently have 2x hygger HG-707 and I was wanting to replace them with something less bulky and that can keep or increase the flow. The current ones have good power, but the cords are super short. They also occasionally fall off due to being a suction cup.

I have 2 other cheaper wavemakers on the back of the tank for extra flow. My dream is to get some MP60s and a couple MP40s for the back, but that is currently out of my budget. I have been looking at the hygger HG042, but I'm still looking into the max thickness for the magnet.

What does everyone currently use? What size tank? Do you like them or would you get something else.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 3 Neptune WAV’s on my 650 and they create a friggin Tsunami, but they are bulky

Loved my NERO’s while it lasted but it only lasted 2yrs, others have had better luck

LOVE my Red Sea ReefWaves (I own 4) low maintenence, and appear rugged…1yr, so far so good

Tunze gets my nod for the balance of cost/reliability (I own 2 @ over 3”yrs) but if bulk is a criteria then you are back to NERO or a Amazon knock off…

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 125g I keep a Jebao gyre (scp-150) and a Neptune Wav on each side of the tank.

The gyre moves a lot of water and with being a Jebao is relatively cheap, but require frequent cleaning to keep them running properly.

I like that the WAVs are easy to setup and control with apex, but if you don’t have an apex they won’t work for you. Plus they’ve been out of stock for a while and they don’t have the best reputation for reliability.

Overall I probably wouldn’t choose either of them again and I am considering buying a couple of Mp40s for my tank.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had good success with the ReefWave 45s. Great random flow and solid reliability over the 8 months I’ve had them.

OP
OP
Poseidon03

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've definitely thought about Neptune Wav pumps. It would free up some much needed space on my EB832...

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i currently run two nero 3’s in my 40B. i had one break down on me but i have poor equipment maintenance so i blame myself. i’ve read many success stories with the jebao wave makers/gyre

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back