Whats You'r Single Best Investment

ChaseBurke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What has been your single best investment in a piece of gear for you'r tank that you could not live without? A certain skimmer? ATO? Reactor? Controller/ what part of the controller? Pump? An additive? Also Post the worst purchase you have made. My best is the wall plug timers that turn on and off. The worst is a Aqueon HOB filter that a guy at the lfs(***mart) said i had to have to have a successful reef tank...

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best: LiterMeter auto water changing system. This improved my reef keeping massively!
Worst: A few years back a got a batch of carbon that made all my LPS detach from their skeletons and wiped out most of my reef.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switching from MH and t5 lighting to all led.

I had 4 tanks at the time and I live in SW Florida where we run A/C about 8+ months out of the year . And due to MH lights I ran 2 chillers all year. My electric bill went down over $300/yr and replacement MH & t5 bulb cost was $400/yr which went to zero. That alone saved me the cost of all 5 led fixtures ($1200) in less than 2 years and I sold all the MH and t5 fixtures for $400+ besides.

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patterson certified calibrated thermometer.
Every temperature related piece of equipment including my heaters, inkbird and seneye have always read differently. Finally I know the true temperature.

Inkbird was 2 degrees C out by the way! :eek:

OP
OP
ChaseBurke

ChaseBurke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patterson certified calibrated thermometer.
Every temperature related piece of equipment including my heaters, inkbird and seneye have always read differently. Finally I know the true temperature.

Inkbird was 2 degrees C out by the way! :eek:
+1 for that. I have access to calibrated thermometers where I work so I take one home when needed and everything is off. Sometimes as much as 5 degrees. How do we not have a heater that is calibrated and trustworthy but yet we can have almost complete remote control of our reef? I think there is a conspiracy here... the company’s that make the heaters are getting paid to make faulty heaters by other companies to cause a system crash. And hoping once it crashes you upgrade your equipment and spending more money...

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i have to pick one it would be REEFLO HAMMERHEAD.

Generator would prob be Number 2 ..

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna copper checker

I agree with this. 30 days of prophylactic copper treatment along with some anti-parasitic medication = healthy and happy fish. No more live stock crashes from cut and dumps. Makes it so much easier to properly treat with copper when you can run exactly at 1.75ppm.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this. 30 days of prophylactic copper treatment along with some anti-parasitic medication = healthy and happy fish. No more live stock crashes from cut and dumps. Makes it so much easier to properly treat with copper when you can run exactly at 1.75ppm.

All the guess work is gone

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn't my investment is was a friend who let me use it. A par meter, my SPS wasn't doing good and I couldn't figure out why. Turns out I had my maxspect ethereal turned down insanely low. I was so afraid of burning coral that I was giving them little to no light. After getting the par meter I started slowly turning them up. Within weeks you could see the difference.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back