What's your water change look like?

William Hudson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it looks like when a plumber does a water change on a 10 gallon nuvo aio.
20180607_213142.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine consists of buckets. My tank is in the dining room which is attached to my kitchen. So I fill the bucket up in the kitchen, carry it to the dining room and mix my salt in. It sits for about an hour, and then I grab my other bucket. Siphon out 6 gallons, dump that in the toilet in the next room. Then change my filter sock, clean the skimmer cup, and pump the new water back into the tank. Next week lather, rinse, and repeat :)

OP
OP
William Hudson

William Hudson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs Mcjones.
That's crazy. I would have already run a hose of rodi water through the wall to a spout somewhere on the tank.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs Mcjones.
That's crazy. I would have already run a hose of rodi water to a spout somewhere on the tank.
We have plans in the near future to move, so I don't want to really do anything in this house. My next house will have a saltwater mixing station and a pipeline for easier water changes (as long as the wife signs off on it ;) )

OP
OP
William Hudson

William Hudson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ok for a much larger set up. One I might have to sell the home with when the time comes. But first I need to redo the flooring. No way I'm going set "THE TANK!" up and then have to drain it to move it.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn valve, 25 gallons flows from a 29g tank that is the first ‘chamber’ of my sump, to the drain. Close valve. Open valve at the tee on my water station pump, hit radio control switch, 25 gallons pumps back into the tank in 6 minutes. Turn off pump, close valve. Done

Takes 13 minutes.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I siphon out 15 gallons....carry that upstairs in 5 gallon buckets to be dumped. Finally pump that water back in from a brute that was mixing overnight.

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm old school (2-bucket method). I just don't trust ANY auto equipment (you know, Terminator, and Murphy's law).
I have a bucket of salt water that I mix at least 24 hours in advance, then use another bucket to drain water into. Once I drain, I pour new water in.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm old school (2-bucket method). I just don't trust ANY auto equipment (you know, Terminator, and Murphy's law).
I have a bucket of salt water that I mix at least 24 hours in advance, then use another bucket to drain water into. Once I drain, I pour new water in.
Thats my thought process as well :)

OP
OP
William Hudson

William Hudson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't started mixing my own salt yet. But I have a system in mind. It changes daily as I think about it more.

av8soulfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back