What's Your Water Change Process?

Stephensx04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine set up pretty easy I guess. Sump in basement, display on first floor. Have a T off the return line. Shut off ATO. Open T that is plumbed to drain. Drain 5 or so gallons. (I don't even turn off return pump, Tank up stairs isn't disturbed) Shut drain valve. Have water mixing station all plumbed to recirculate. Open valve to move water from holding tank to sump. Close recirculation valve to force water from holding tank to sump. Fill to level on sump marked prior to emptying. Give water level a chance to stabilize in return section and top off as needed. Turn on ATO. No mess made.

jerses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw on an AWC (the ecotech versa is silent, used to use the DOS but was much louder). I do even heat the fresh mix since it is changing slowly 24/7/365.

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw on an AWC (the ecotech versa is silent, used to use the DOS but was much louder). I do even heat the fresh mix since it is changing slowly 24/7/365.
This is my plan for the future!

Dave Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a water change and I'm realizing I need to refine my process so that I am more efficient at it, so I'm looking to hear how other people do their routine water changes so I can try new things out. Things like, what equipment do you use that makes it easier? What order do you do things in?

For now...this is my process, so please feel free to point to anything that I could tweak...

1. Mix up salt mix with RO/DI the night before with a pump and heater set to tank temp.
2. Test tank and mixed saltwater salinitiy and adjust if necessary in the morning.
3. Grab towels. Lots of towels.
4. Turn off pumps and lights...basically turn everything off.
5. Stir sand with a bamboo stick. Clean rocks and glass/plastic back as needed with a toothbrush. Pick off hair algae.
6. Siphon 5g of tank water out into empty bucket.
7. Swap filter pad/floss
8. Remove return pump and clean with vinegar, scrubbing with toothbrush. Run it in used tank water bucket to be sure it's rinsed out.
9. Replace return pump, close lid, and plug everything back in.
10. Clean outside of tank and glass.
11. Clean up the big mess I just made and pour out used tank water.
12. Test salinity. In 12-24 hours, I do my weekly tank parameter tests.

Thoughts/ideas?
For my Nano tank:

1) scoop out a quart of water
2) put 2 tbsp of Reef Crystals salt in a quart jar
3) fill same jar with distilled water
4) shake jar for maybe 10 seconds
5) pour jar’s contents into tank

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my Nano tank:

1) scoop out a quart of water
2) put 2 tbsp of Reef Crystals salt in a quart jar
3) fill same jar with distilled water
4) shake jar for maybe 10 seconds
5) pour jar’s contents into tank
Nice! How big is your tank? I love the simplicity of this.

OlafsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your nanos do you vacuum the sand? I’ve heard you have to on a small system because so much crap gets caught in it
I vaccuum 1/4 of the bed in my two nanos every other water change. Worst thing I ever did in a nano was extreme vacuum of full bed. Great way to get dinos. Done it twice, got dinos within a month both times I did it.

Mine are about two years old each, what works for me is large wc every other week of just water, small wc to vacuum 1/4th bed every other week. If i have no sandbed, like my frag/qt system I just do larger wc every other week.

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw surfboards and collecting drum in back of truck, fill up with NSW, let NSW warm up in the sun while I get a few waves, change water, crack open a coldie. Job done.
IMG_1140.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back