When can i make more water?

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My city was treating the water for the past 2 weeks and today is the end of the treatment. I had made water before it started and and coming up on my last couple of gallons. When would it be safe to start making water again?

I dont know what they are using to treat, they just have signs saying water treatment begins on xx and ends on xx.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My city was treating the water for the past 2 weeks and today is the end of the treatment. I had made water before it started and and coming up on my last couple of gallons. When would it be safe to start making water again?

I dont know what they are using to treat, they just have signs saying water treatment begins on xx and ends on xx.
I would call and ask what they were treating with. My local water company uses chlorine, but once a year uses chloramine. Not sure why, but they do. During this time, I have to use a different filter for this. Normal carbon will remove the chlorine from chloramine, but not the ammonia.

Better safe then sorry.

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would call and ask what they were treating with. My local water company uses chlorine, but once a year uses chloramine. Not sure why, but they do. During this time, I have to use a different filter for this. Normal carbon will remove the chlorine from chloramine, but not the ammonia.

Better safe then sorry.

I have tried calling and keep getting the run around, it seems like no one knows what they are doing to treat the water.... Going to just keep calling and I guess send some emails.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could test the tap for chlorine. You can also test for ammonia, as it will be present if chloramine was used.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried calling and keep getting the run around, it seems like no one knows what they are doing to treat the water.... Going to just keep calling and I guess send some emails.
It should be in a report on their website. You may have to dig to find it, but it should be there.

Was there a drinking ban while they were treating? Or was it just a notice?

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It should be in a report on their website. You may have to dig to find it, but it should be there.

Was there a drinking ban while they were treating? Or was it just a notice?

Ill do some digging, the only thing I saw was them talking about the filtration system for the water. No drinking ban, just a notice of water treatment. I've been drinking the tap this whole time and haven't grown anything weird yet lol.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go buy a TDS meter online. If the TDS is reading 0-1ish, dont worry about it.

If you have color changing DI resin....look for the exhaustion color.

The Water Utilities have the Federal and State Level EPA so far up their rearend that the EPA can see their tonsels.... if they are releasing water for public consumption AND sent out a Notice, you getter believe they have all the bases covered.

Its the unreported stuff from the Water Utility you gotta worry about....

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill do some digging, the only thing I saw was them talking about the filtration system for the water. No drinking ban, just a notice of water treatment. I've been drinking the tap this whole time and haven't grown anything weird yet lol.
I just thought about this. When they do it here, they call it a temporary disinfectant. Same thing when I lived in Melbourne, FL. Melbourne used chloramine every so often as well.

@nereefpat also made a good point. Testing for ammonia in the tap will indicate chloramine being used. API will work for this, as it will go beyond the .25 false positive due to the chlorine being in it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back