When can I turn my UV on?

fishguy777

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 12, 2022
Messages
278
Reaction score
86
Location
New York State
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 months ago I had an Ich outbreak in my 240 gallon system. I dosed to levels as high as 1.00 with Cupraimine.

Fast forward, yesterday I was able to source a marbled bamboo shark, it’s 15”. Store told me the shark can stay in minimal amounts of copper, sub 0.03. I took their word on it, and left with a shark.

Car ride home I’m researching if what the store owner said was true, and come to find out that any copper is lethal. So here’s a schedule of what I’ve been doing to remove the copper

This tank houses 7 tangs, and the low grade copper level was in affect to prevent an icy outbreak, now my UV (life guard 55W) can substitute the copper, but now I need to know what level of copper is safe to turn my UV back on, again I treated with Cupraimine. And apparently it’s not supposed to be on with a UV.

I plan to do another large water change, maybe 40%, which will hopefully get the copper level down below 0.05.

I have 240lbs of fine grain sand, and 50lbs of live rock in the display.
1719848821269.png
 
2 months ago I had an Ich outbreak in my 240 gallon system. I dosed to levels as high as 1.00 with Cupraimine.

Fast forward, yesterday I was able to source a marbled bamboo shark, it’s 15”. Store told me the shark can stay in minimal amounts of copper, sub 0.03. I took their word on it, and left with a shark.

Car ride home I’m researching if what the store owner said was true, and come to find out that any copper is lethal. So here’s a schedule of what I’ve been doing to remove the copper

This tank houses 7 tangs, and the low grade copper level was in affect to prevent an icy outbreak, now my UV (life guard 55W) can substitute the copper, but now I need to know what level of copper is safe to turn my UV back on, again I treated with Cupraimine. And apparently it’s not supposed to be on with a UV.

I plan to do another large water change, maybe 40%, which will hopefully get the copper level down below 0.05.

I have 240lbs of fine grain sand, and 50lbs of live rock in the display.
1719848821269.png
Forgot to add, thankfully my LFS is holding the shark in their 180, for a week until my tanks ready.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new