When cycling tank for the first time, should all filtering mediums be left out?

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When cycling tank for the first time during the nitrogen cycle, should the filter floss, chemi blue and matrix be left out? If so, for how long?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it simply does not matter one way or another, have at least rocks in the system and that alone will produce the same carry ability that rocks, sand, 5 pound of bioballs, eight marine pure bricks, and a remote dsb will carry.

the reasoning is you can't add enough bioload in the box to surpass what rocks alone will carry, so the extra filtration stuff doesn't matter though we always pack it in x10 out of safety/abundance.

these rules are used when we change reef tanks into bare bottom instantly, or we remove all the accessory filtration you're considering. There isn't any reef bioload that rocks alone can't carry, hard to believe I know but its true.

using the media during your cycle isn't going to stop up anything, or prevent distribution, no harm comes from adding it all in the loop or excluding it.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Brandon above. I would leave it out just for the sake of saving a few dollars since it’s pointless. But you should run your machines regardless, beneficial bacteria will grow on the insides of the filter and skimmer (not a lot, but more is always better)

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it simply does not matter one way or another, have at least rocks in the system and that alone will produce the same carry ability that rocks, sand, 5 pound of bioballs, eight marine pure bricks, and a remote dsb will carry.

the reasoning is you can't add enough bioload in the box to surpass what rocks alone will carry, so the extra filtration stuff doesn't matter though we always pack it in x10 out of safety/abundance.

these rules are used when we change reef tanks into bare bottom instantly, or we remove all the accessory filtration you're considering. There isn't any reef bioload that rocks alone can't carry, hard to believe I know but its true.

using the media during your cycle isn't going to stop up anything, or prevent distribution, no harm comes from adding it all in the loop or excluding it.
Is there a recommended amount of live rock I should have? I have a 32 gallon tank.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This question seems to draw many different answers. How long until you can put fish in? I guess the smart answer would be when all your numbers test in the correct parameters. But figured I'd ask anyway. I've heard people say 1 week, 3 weeks on up to 6 weeks.

ATB USA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ammonia will spike. When it goes down the nitrates will spike. When both the ammonia and Nitrates are back down to a good level is when you want to add one or two fish. 3 to 6 weeks.

The only way to do it in one week is if you are moving from one tank to another and using the same rock and water. That does not really count.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ammonia will spike. When it goes down the nitrates will spike. When both the ammonia and Nitrates are back down to a good level is when you want to add one or two fish. 3 to 6 weeks.

The only way to do it in one week is if you are moving from one tank to another and using the same rock and water. That does not really count.
Does it make a difference if I’m using live rock and water from my LFS?

ATB USA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that is fresh mixed water. I did go from a 72 gal to a 150 gal once using water from the 72 and the rest directly out of the LFS 500gal tank.
Rock may or may not be cycled. Depends on the LFS
Bottom line is test the water and the numbers will tell you. 3 to 6 weeks is the norm.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disease control regulates fish add rate, your ammonia is controlled.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that is fresh mixed water. I did go from a 72 gal to a 150 gal once using water from the 72 and the rest directly out of the LFS 500gal tank.
Rock may or may not be cycled. Depends on the LFS
Bottom line is test the water and the numbers will tell you. 3 to 6 weeks is the norm.
Thanks!

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When cycling tank for the first time during the nitrogen cycle, should the filter floss, chemi blue and matrix be left out? If so, for how long?
I would leave Chemi Blue and Filter Floss out. Well, filter floss is kinda optional either way, just to me don't really need to be there.

Matrix should definitely be left in though, that is one of the locations you want beneficial microbes to colonize.

Since you wondered whether to leave matrix in or out, I suggest reading up more on biomedia, what they do, and how they are involved in cycling specifically and with filtration in general.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 56 65.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.7%

Back