When designing a sump, what do you make sure to include?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're custom designing a sump, what do you try to be sure you account for? What are some important things to measure for? What questions should you ask yourself?

I'm thinking about skimmer compartment sizes, equipment planning, etc.

Is there a ratio of volume you make sure you have sump to DT? What other things do you try to be sure of when planning a sump?

Photo of BioTek sump by @AquariumSpecialty
5 - custom sump - Aquarium Specialty.jpeg

Last edited:

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the key with any sump is how easy is to work in. I hate sharp edges and super-tight compartments that scrape up my forearms every time I get in them. I like as few compartments as possible that are large and unobstructed.

I also like sumps with the front clear but all other surfaces colored. Too much clear acrylic leads to algae from light bleed from the fuge but no clear front makes it impossible to see what you are doing.

I also make sure that the included drain connections match my tank. I am kinda weird in preferring 1.5in drains in most cases and there are only a few sumps that come with 1.5in drain connections.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mine as big as I have the space for. And, at a minimum, large enough to put a skimmer and have enough volume for tank back-siphon situations.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More room = more better. Space will get tight fast so do yourself a favor and go as big as you can. Also equipment will change over time so try to not go crazy fitting your sump to your current equipment.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I definitely understand the "as big as you can" statement, but for planning purposes, I'm hoping someone has thought of an actual suggested ratio. Also, any design tips? What have you guys found to be helpful for planning out the space? I'm currently planning for a roller mat and 2 skimmers. I'll also need space in the cabinet for a calcium reactor and potentially a macroalgae reactor or ATS (still debating that).

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely understand the "as big as you can" statement, but for planning purposes, I'm hoping someone has thought of an actual suggested ratio. Also, any design tips? What have you guys found to be helpful for planning out the space? I'm currently planning for a roller mat and 2 skimmers. I'll also need space in the cabinet for a calcium reactor and potentially a macroalgae reactor or ATS (still debating that).
If this was my plan I would just do a basic 3 chamber design. Filter roller followed by a main area and a small return pump area. No more chambers. You want a dedicated return pump chamber to keep the water level in the main chamber consistent and mechanical filtration often necessitates a chamber but I would do no more than you have to. I would keep the main chamber open with minimal bracing and ask if the edges can be beveled to stop forearm scraping.

Another tip for me is to plan to layout the equipment as horizontally (as in left to right)as possible. I have had times were a reactor is directly in front of a skimmer and it can make it hard to access the skimmer. Try to have the equipment in a horizontal line if possible. I also would keep everything in the sump. This way if a thumb screw or an oring is loose you won't flood the stand.

You can actually mathematically calculate the minimum sump size if you want. Simply estimate how much water will back siphon from your display based on the height of the return pump outlet and the tank dimensions. Most sumps are half full so you want a sump double the potential back siphon volume as a minimum. An example below based on my tank.

Tank Dimensions 72x24x24
Return outlet 2in from the surface.
Back syphon volume in cubic inches = 72 x 24 x 2 = 3456 cubic inches
Converted to gallons = 3456/231= 14.96
Minimum sump size should be at least 30 gallons.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need a ratio or baffles, imo.
Both my sumps are 40 breeders.
Filter sock, skimmer, return pump, carx in one, a fuge in the other, media reactor.
No baffles makes maintenance simple and easy.
My fuge sump is partioned off with egg crate and allows maximum flow.
You dont need a seperate chamber for your ato. My Tunze ato's keep both open systems very stable.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the variability in tanks and what someone Wants from a sump, I highly doubt such a ratio even exists .

I run a 180g and 30g plumbed together on a 40 B and could get by with 30b if I wanted.

People think it's crazy to not have at least a 75 under there...

What works for me probably won't work for you and vice versa.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At the end of the day, a sump is a box outside of your display tank to stick stuff in and because of that it often gets overlooked or not given the creative and innovative attention that, IMHO, it should have. I am currently using sumps from Reef Octopus, Eshopps, DIY, a Rubbermaid trough, and more. It is really nice to have a big enough center section to add a skimmer and a reactor (you may not need one now but may want to experiment with one later). If you are thinking about a built in refugium then having the return section between the skimmer section and the fuge (on the end) with enough flow to the fuge so there is no dead spots, but not too much so that it blows all of the pods, etc. out of the fuge. I have mixed feelings about the built-in ATO section on some. For me, I try to use gravity ATOs when possible so I am always trying to figure out how to include that if possible.

I have always been impressed wit the Bashsea and GEO sumps so they are worth studying. Also the removable plates for filter socks to filter rolls is a nice feature. Additionally, an integrated dosing system and cable management aids also can add a nice touch. Although it isn't the sump directly, don't forget to think about access to the sump (and behind the sump) and lighting for that area.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When designing/building a sump, my main thought is what equipment will call the sump home. Once you have the equipment figured out you can figure out how much real-estate is needed for everything.

Minimize as much as you can! Plan to run different reactors? Make a manifold and use one larger feed pump to power all your reactors. Do this with any tubing as well! Ato, CaRX, 2-part, whatever uses a tube, make a manifold for it. John Guest bulkheads and a piece of acrylic will do the job wonderfully.

Make a plan to route your wires! Nobody likes wires, try to tuck and hide as much as you can. Zip ties and adhesive zip tie mounts are your friend.

Just be creative! Sumps deserve to be loved and showed off just as much as a display does. At least I always thought so lol.

Here are some pics from my old sump, I don't think I ever took any after I moved the ato container to the side of the tank, so those tubes and wires were gone.

Even ppl who don't know fish tanks always enjoyed how I showed off the filtration system of the tank. I guess they liked the "behind the scenes" feel to it haha.

Attachments

• 20160722_011705.jpg
    20160722_011705.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 20160722_011624.jpg
    20160722_011624.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 20160722_011551.jpg
    20160722_011551.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 110

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the Eshopps ar300 for my new build. I like the theory of the design. Water passes both through the fuge chamber and bypasses it to go to the skimmer chamber. then both combine to the return. Not enough room for a rollermat, but the large 7"sock will do just fine for my needs. I would rather have 1 larger sock than multiple smaller ones.

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That BioTek Marine custom sump is pretty sweet. We built that per the customer’s wishes about 5-6 years ago. It was a one off design for a client. Surprised you found that one :)!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That BioTek Marine custom sump is pretty sweet. We built that per the customer’s wishes about 5-6 years ago. It was a one off design for a client. Surprised you found that one :)!
It's a beauty!! I really like what you guys did there!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back