When did you ugly phase end?

• Total voters

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this is a rarely discussed topic because of the differentiating times of events occurring in the ugly phase, so I wanted to create a poll to see when your ugly phase ended, as well as see your experiences with the different types of algae through it.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say I have completely gone through the uglies quite yet, but at 6 months I am no longer geting diatoms and have starting getting coralline on my rocks (previously dry rock). When the diatoms got annoying I began adding Algae Barn’s live phytoplankton. It seemed to help fight the algae as well as make my corals happy

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say I have completely gone through the uglies quite yet, but at 6 months I am no longer geting diatoms and have starting getting coralline on my rocks
Exactly my situation right now from what I kept^. Only form of algae I have is red cyano and very small gha on the sandbed. I used to have diatoms, brown cyano on the sandbed, and a little bit of big stands of gha on the rock.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly my situation right now from what I kept^. Only form of algae I have is red cyano and very small gha on the sandbed. I used to have diatoms, brown cyano on the sandbed, and a little bit of big stands of gha on the rock.
I’m hoping that the mixture of my livestock and phyto helped “defeat” the uglies. I do believe there has to be a healthy mixture. Too heavy or too light on livestock gives the uglies an edge

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with my current tank i didn’t have one. I started with cured ocean live rock, put in a ton of CuC right away. limited light to low percentage intensity and fed sparingly the first few weeks. ran phosguard from the beginning as well.
9AD425CD-634C-49DD-8336-03C8B9F67935.jpeg

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my current cube I'm at the 4 month mark. I have a tiny disc of coraline growing directly over the lights that I keep marshaling my otherwise well behaved pencil urchin away from.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this is a rarely discussed topic because of the differentiating times of events occurring in the ugly phase, so I wanted to create a poll to see when your ugly phase ended, as well as see your experiences with the different types of algae through it.
Good topic... trying to remember back now lol. I estimate a few years. I went through hair algae, and diatoms consistently. Taking rocks out scrubbing them ok for a few weeks and back again. Tried all kinds of beneficial bacteria and chemical available back then (25 years ago)... I lost numerous fish, and corals , I would consider that to be the ugly's too. The fish some more expensive ones along the way, I was not educated enough in the hobby, and somewhat cocky I guess. Finally did recieve some invaluable advice from LFS , got rid of some equipment, added a piece or two, and I finally had a reef.
New hobbyists have a wealth of info here now in forums, that I wish I had only through books, or local advice from retailers who either didn't know enough, or wanted to just make a buck.
I'm very thankful myself today for R2R and lots of online info.

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current 75g tank is only a little over a month old and it only has film algae and coralline algae. It went through diatoms and a little brown cyano until I kicked up the flow. The coralline is starting on the glass and rock which is kind of odd because it's always started on plastic in the past for me.

I scrubbed all the snails with a wire brush and H202 before putting them in the tank and one of them started re growing the red stranded algae it came with, I pulled that snail and treated him again, fingers crossed that I didn't introduce any of that to the tank. I also dumped a bottle of the arc reef pink coralline in the tank, but it wouldn't be fair to say if it worked because the coralline that was on the snails is also growing again.

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years for me. It was a nightmare that wouldn't end. I finally hired a consultant who came to my home and spent 2 hours creating a plan. It took about 2 months, which was not unexpected. No one digs out of a 2 year hole instantaneously. Tank looks great now, but I've realized the potential for the ugly phase never really goes away. It's just under control. Where ever my herbivores cannot reach, green hair algae still grows. Examples: inside my MP10 power heads and in my sump where my trochus snails cannot go.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with my current tank i didn’t have one. I started with cured ocean live rock, put in a ton of CuC right away. limited light to low percentage intensity and fed sparingly the first few weeks. ran phosguard from the beginning as well.
9AD425CD-634C-49DD-8336-03C8B9F67935.jpeg
This is why I'll never use or recommend dry rock again.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back