When do you change water filters?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mikebusc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mikebusc

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 10, 2023
Messages
304
Reaction score
175
Location
Douglassville, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 stage water filter and I changed all filters about 6 to 8 months ago. I just checked with a TDS meter and I’m still only getting 1 to 2 PPM now. So should I keep them in until the TDS increases or is that not the only indicator to use?
 
I change mine as soon as I get anything over 1TDS (I give some margin of error on the system), or every 6 months, whichever comes sooner. I typically purchase 2 sets every Black Friday to just keep around for the occasion.
 
If we are talking about the carbon and sediment filters before the membrane I change mine whenever I see a pressure drop before the membrane or when the sediment filter looks bad. The membrane I go by the output tds after the membrane but before the resin (assuming the tds of your source water hasn’t changed). I replace the resin when my filtered water tds is anything above 0.

I wouldn’t let the sediment and carbon filters wait until your tds increases. They are cheap and are there to help protect the membrane.
 
Sediment filter change based on pressure
Carbon filters change based on gallons and the filters chlorine removal rating
Membrane rejection rate
DI color change and tds
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new