When does algae become a problem?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
This is my first saltwater tank. I have a 32 gallon biocube with 40 pounds of live sand, 25 pounds of reef saver dry rock that has been running for 4 weeks. It cycled in 9 days. Current live stock is a fire fish, a small watchman goby and one small hermit crab. I have noticed a small amount of green algae on the rocks that is progressively growing. It is flapping in the current a little bit, but I have not been overly concerned. Should I be? Should I try to nip it in the bud now? I think it is just the natural progression of the tank, and it probably consumes some nitrates. Advice is welcome. Thanks!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
This is my first saltwater tank. I have a 32 gallon biocube with 40 pounds of live sand, 25 pounds of reef saver dry rock that has been running for 4 weeks. It cycled in 9 days. Current live stock is a fire fish, a small watchman goby and one small hermit crab. I have noticed a small amount of green algae on the rocks that is progressively growing. It is flapping in the current a little bit, but I have not been overly concerned. Should I be? Should I try to nip it in the bud now? I think it is just the natural progression of the tank, and it probably consumes some nitrates. Advice is welcome. Thanks!
I wouldn't be to concerned. In the upcomming months you're going to see algaes come and go, and your white rock is going to start turning all kinds of interesting colors as the tank matures.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I thought so. You guys are fast! I also noticed a few splotches of coralline algae on my hermit's shell. Maybe that will spread with time.

None of the coralline on my hermits or snails transferred to my rocks :(

Hopefully you'll get lucky!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I thought so. You guys are fast! I also noticed a few splotches of coralline algae on my hermit's shell. Maybe that will spread with time.
It'll find its way into your system, if not from your crab shell from frag plugs ;)

Weikel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To your question I wouldn’t stress too much on the algae you have right now but start researching on what type of algae you have and why that’s the key. It will take over if you let it. Some things to look at are

What’s your maintenance routine ? Are you doing water changes and how often and how big. Are you blowing off your rocks before you change it. Are you cleaning your back chambers

What do you feed and how much

What are your parameters? Specificity nitrates and phosphates.

And bump up your cuc if you tank needs it’s . I find trochus snails do a good job and don’t knock stuff over as bad as turbos..

Anyways happy reefing!

Weikel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and forgot about light schedule. Sometimes when your new you don’t realize that you don’t need to run them 16 hours a day full blast haha

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to the comment above..

One thing i noticed is that pretty everywhere, the recommendations are the same, cycle the tank, get CUC and a couple of fish. In my opinion, the CUC should be put last (if your system is like mine). 8/9 months in and my tank is still too clean for CUC, just this week two trochus snails died, from what i think was starvation- and now i have a bit of a light bacteria bloom. Now, I have maybe 4 tiny hermit crabs and that's it.

mostlysticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To your question I wouldn’t stress too much on the algae you have right now but start researching on what type of algae you have and why that’s the key. It will take over if you let it. Some things to look at are

What’s your maintenance routine ? Are you doing water changes and how often and how big. Are you blowing off your rocks before you change it. Are you cleaning your back chambers

What do you feed and how much

What are your parameters? Specificity nitrates and phosphates.

And bump up your cuc if you tank needs it’s . I find trochus snails do a good job and don’t knock stuff over as bad as turbos..

Anyways happy reefing!

Trochus rock. They're one of my favs. They're way better than astreas.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the single hermit is my only cuc at this point. I plan to add a royal gramma and a pair of clowns eventually. Then 3 or 4 nessarius snails and then maybe some turbo snails. Maybe a brittle star? I won't complete the stocking plan until the end of the year. Then some easy corals.

mostlysticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta go scrape my hermit crab! Hehe!

If you get a good piece you can place it on the rock somewhere with low flow. It will often but not always start a patch there. If you had more you could crumble it all over.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I agree that your cycling tank (for the next few months or even longer) will go through several blooms of different algae. Unfortunately it’s the normal progression. Avoid knee-jerk reactions and just keep on chugging. Keep nutrients down and try to keep it stable by not making any large changes.

Good luck! :)

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water tests all came out great today. Did water changes in my fresh water tanks to try and get the reef tank on an alternating weekend...

And... I am pretty sure this is coralline algae on my rocks!

image.jpeg

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say from your pictures but it definitely could be coralline.

+1 to the advice above "avoid knee - jerk reactions". Your tank may progress through several "ugly" phases - in my limited experience it is just to best sigh and wait it out (as you are wisely doing now).

Best of luck with your biocube :)

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got yellow algae, I got orange algae, I got brown algae, I got light green dark green and emerald green algae. Nitrates are < 10. All other parameters are good. I think my tank has hit puberty.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back