When doing manual test trident is checking alkalinity twice

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my trident today and after set up I wanted to run a manual test so I did. It ran threw alkalinity and then calcium/magnesium and now its doing alkalinity again. Is this normal?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your Trident's schedule set for, and did you run the manual test just prior to when it was about to run the next scheduled alk test?

OP
OP
K

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your Trident's schedule set for, and did you run the manual test just prior to when it was about to run the next scheduled alk test?
I took it out of auto and put it in manual to run a test. But the next schedul test isn't for a few hours. It's done now but it tested everything twice for some reason

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took it out of auto and put it in manual to run a test. But the next schedul test isn't for a few hours. It's done now but it tested everything twice for some reason
If the Trident's test results are a bit off from the previous tests, it will re-run the tests to confirm. This is a built-in safeguard. If it's brand new, it may not have enough prior data to confirm.

OP
OP
K

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Trident's test results are a bit off from the previous tests, it will re-run the tests to confirm. This is a built-in safeguard.
That's a cool feature but this was my first test. Could that be why?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a cool feature but this was my first test. Could that be why?
Possibly. But only Neptune Support can say for sure. Keep an eye on it over the next day. It should only run single tests under normal circumstances.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you test combined it will also always test all even if you just did a standalone test of all minutes prior

OP
OP
K

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly. But only Neptune Support can say for sure. Keep an eye on it over the next day. It should only run single tests under normal circumstances.
I was hoping to just do one manual test per day for the time being until I get my dos set up. That way I don't use as much reagent as well. I'll see how it does. Thanks for the quick reply

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the beginning mine would test twice. I think it’s best to let them do the schedule a couple days and compare the results and make sure they are close to the same then calibrate. After calibration the numbers should be close to your other test kits.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to just do one manual test per day for the time being until I get my dos set up. That way I don't use as much reagent as well. I'll see how it does. Thanks for the quick reply
Run the min test it can run. It needs to run so many test a day

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, but beware that one test per day is misleading. Before the Trident I always tested my Alk each day at 9:00am, and I thought it was pretty stable. After using the Trident I quickly realized how much Alk swings throughout the day. This Trident graph reveals the swings compared to my 9am daily tests (shown in red):

1638499866069.png

See my detailed thread on my Trident experience and how I used it to fine-tune my dosing schedule:

OP
OP
K

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, but beware that one test per day is misleading. Before the Trident I always tested my Alk each day at 9:00am, and I thought it was pretty stable. After using the Trident I quickly realized how much Alk swings throughout the day. This Trident graph reveals the swings compared to my 9am daily tests (shown in red):

1638499866069.png

See my detailed thread on my Trident experience and how I used it to fine-tune my dosing schedule:
Yeah it sounds like I'll switch it back to auto. The trident was the main reason I wanted the Apex so I might as well take full advantage of it

OP
OP
K

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to let you know that it was scheduled to run an suto test right after I started the manual one. Which is weird because I had it on manual. But the tests are scheduled for apex local time not my local time. I didn't realize that until the one that was scheduled for 6 am didn't start and I noticed the last one was at 3 am.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to let you know that it was scheduled to run an suto test right after I started the manual one. Which is weird because I had it on manual. But the tests are scheduled for apex local time not my local time. I didn't realize that until the one that was scheduled for 6 am didn't start and I noticed the last one was at 3 am.
The Apex time should match your Local time. The only reason they should appear different is when you're traveling outside of your time zone so the app shows you what time it is where you are vs. where the Apex is.

Run the Clock Setup task to tell the Apex which time zone to use, then reboot it for the change to take effect. Once it's set correctly, you'll only see a single clock on your dashboard unless you're traveling.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not how trident was designed to be used and you were going to have nothing but problems with clogging trident!!! I would set it to auto to the minimum uses otherwise turn it off and don’t use it at all

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not how they tried it was designed to be used and you were going to have nothing but problems with clogging trident!!! hoses set it to auto to the minimum uses otherwise turn it off and don’t use it at all
That sounds like a design flaw but I already said above that I was going to set it to auto for the 4 tests per day above

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back