When is enough coral enough?

Afm32607

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone “prune” their corals when they get larger?

I have a couple larger sps that are growing into Eachother, the wall, or are covering their bases to the point of worry.

Was thinking I’d cut out the sections touching each other and hollowing out the center of some of the bushier ones, like how people do with rose bushes.

Any thoughts? obviously don’t want to cause the corals to die just to save them from killing themselves.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you with mature systems; Are you still adding new corals? If not when did you decide your tank was full?

Were you concerned with over crowding before the colonies matured? Once matured do you have any regrets with spacing?
enough is enough only when all avaliable substrate is taken or theres fighting. in coral reefs coral are all right next to eachother stacked up taking all avalible space

OP
OP
MarshallB

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think y'all need to go to 12-Step Group Therapy

group hug comedy GIF by Kim's Convenience's Convenience
My wallet definitely agrees with this.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone “prune” their corals when they get larger?

I have a couple larger sps that are growing into Eachother, the wall, or are covering their bases to the point of worry.

Was thinking I’d cut out the sections touching each other and hollowing out the center of some of the bushier ones, like how people do with rose bushes.

Any thoughts? obviously don’t want to cause the corals to die just to save them from killing themselves.
Sounds like you're talking about fragging. Those pieces you prune should be able to be placed on a plug and sold/traded.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you cant fit anymore on the rocks or glass then im usually done lol sometimes ill also remove colonies im not liking as much to make room for a new piece i want more. Always lots of pruning and fragging to keep them from shading and touching each other. The important thing is to give them plenty of room to grow when you first place them.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had an 50% crash in my system a few years ago. the following day i was completely disinterested in looking at, reading about or considering more coral lol.
that was the only time i can think of though.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back