When is it right for icepacks?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Speg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 15, 2010
Messages
1,545
Reaction score
9
Location
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sold some stuff on ebay and I was wondering if I should be putting a small icepack in the box during this time of year? Here in FL it's getting to around 93-98? Probably a good idea to pack one in?
 
A couple of factors to concider. What are your night temps and their day and night temps. Also what time will they recieve the package? I live in an area that does not get Fedex by 10:30, but more often I get them at 4:30. I would def use an ice pack this time of year, but make sure that it is wrapped in some paper and not touching the water.

Just my two cents
 
A couple of factors to concider. What are your night temps and their day and night temps. Also what time will they recieve the package? I live in an area that does not get Fedex by 10:30, but more often I get them at 4:30. I would def use an ice pack this time of year, but make sure that it is wrapped in some paper and not touching the water.

Just my two cents


Well put. I would def use one but the key is to keep it away from the bags themselves. This is a tricky time of year to ship. I would add one for sure. It's hot everywhere!!
 
Thanks guys. The wrapping part is a great idea. I'll be sure to do that :)
 
My rule of thumb is to always put in an ice pack if the temp is above 80 degrees from 12pm and beyond, as this is the time period when deliveries are usually made. Just put there zip code into the weather channel and you can find out what the temps will be like for the next few days. If the temp is 90 and above you don't even need to question whether you need an ice pack, its a no brainer. ;p
 
I would have thought the same thing..... But lately I have received a few different frag packs. One with a heat pack and one with an ice pack. The one with a heat pack showed up with polyp extension in the bag while the other (the one with the ice pack not next to the bag's ) showed up with one doa and the other two barely alive. I received both the same morning so temps were the same for both. I am in Utah and the temps are in the 90's here so I would have put my money on the ice packed one. I believe the temps at night drop enough to make a temp swing that the corals could not handle. If I were shipping right now and seeing first hand both methods I would go with the heat pack. Just my two cents
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new