When placing sps.....

fishmaster818

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 5, 2014
Messages
932
Reaction score
5
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When placing sps do you place them straight up and down or do you angle them. What is the advantage and disadvantage of placing them on an angle
 
I generally place them on their side, especially if i'm dealing with a small or fresh cut frag. I want whatever surface was recently cut to be exposed to flow to wash away any waste or dying tissue and to aid in delivery of oxygen and nutrients to the area. By placing healthy tissue against my rock it spends its energy attaching rather than trying to heal. Looking towards long term growth the larger surface area contacting the rock forms a stronger attachment. The horizontal positiion also allows more surface area to receive direct light. I also like how it often makes frags send up a couple of branches and it is easier to visually judge growth. That being said I will sometimes just stick them in a hole in the rock if it holds them nicely, particularly if there is a lot of flow that might knock them off otherwise.
 
I agree with bpcass. People will do vertical mounts to add dome height, a 1" frag laying down doesn't give much vertical at the get go. Others do an angle as an attempt at the best if both worlds
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new