When should you add an anemone?

BRS

puffer_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi all,

So my tank just turned 6 months a could of days ago and I’ve been noticing a good amount of coralline algae growing on the rocks. I noticed my clown fish trying to host my frogspawn and I’ve heard different answers on when it is a good idea to add an anemone, when would y’all suggest it’s a good idea to add one?

F20BD671-BEBF-431C-B69D-08B1A1C841E8.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
I would still wait another 3 months. People have made 6 months work but they are the exception not the rule. I had an awful time with them until my tank was over a year old.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Side note... I've had clowns for 2 years and an anemone for a year. The clowns host a powerhead and want nothing to do with the nem. They don't always do what you want.

Upvote 0
OP
puffer_reef

puffer_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Okay thanks for your advise, and yeah even if they don’t host I’m fine with I still just fine anemones nice to look at and just want to give them the option if they want.

Upvote 0

Poof No Eyebrows

View Badges
Reaction score
Maybe take a little time and make your anemone checklist? Lighting, decent flow, ability to reduce your powerheads/WaveMaker while acclimating. If you have powerheads should you get a guard for them to protect the curious anemone from becoming soup. If your frogspawn is happy then I'll venture your tank is more then likely suitable for an anemone. They can be tricky, and unlike coral, they can and do move around. Nothing is more terrifying then watching one free floating around the tank lol.

Upvote 0
BRS

Do you own a fish trap and acclimation box or just one or the other?

• I own both a fish trap and acclimation box

Votes: 63 15.8%
  • Just a fish trap

Votes: 49 12.3%
  • Just an acclimation box

Votes: 105 26.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 174 43.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 1.8%
Fritz