When to add chaeto?

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before, during, or after a cycle? I'm going to be setting up at least 1 pico soon, and somehow I'm gonna stuff a fuge into that thing. I've never used one before, so when should I get that going?

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my chaeto about 2 months after my cycle completed but it died out probably due to low nutrients and maturity. I added it again recently about 5 months in and it is doing very well and growing. I hope this helps.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add it when your Regular water changes can’t keep nitrates and phosphates in check. It will consume nutrients very fast once it gets going. Loosing nutrients will start to starve corals.
You can control growth and consumption by adjusting light.

No need for it till you are feeding corals.

PatientZero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not add it right away? Growth may not really take off until there’s enough nutrients for it, but it should creep along keeping the levels low in the meantime.

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not add it right away? Growth may not really take off until there’s enough nutrients for it, but it should creep along keeping the levels low in the meantime.

My thinking was that it would slow the cycle by consuming nutrients before the bacteria had a swing

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

it will just melt away, your nutrient starved tank can’t support it.

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always add the refuge after the tank bio load is high and your nutrients start to rise , if yoy add it too early it will die off, also adding feron to your tank 1once a month will keep the chateo happy, it strips the iron out of your water column really fast, and be honest when was the last time most reef keepers check that level, P04 is one id test weekly in the first 8 months to a year, along with nitrates, phosphate is important but not to high, .05 to .25 and 5 to 10ppm on nitrates keeps algae down and keeps corals happy just my 2 cents

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi! You will want to wait until your tank is fully cycled with fish and stable parameters. If you do not have anything to help "feed" the chaetos growth it will just melt away :) ~ Shaun K

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! You will want to wait until your tank is fully cycled with fish and stable parameters. If you do not have anything to help "feed" the chaetos growth it will just melt away :) ~ Shaun K

There won't be any fish in this tank, but I will be feeding coral. Maybe fish in another tank. Do not encourage me to get another tank. Absolutely do not provide even the slightest nudge.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back