When to add copepods

bherbold8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our first reef tank we added copepods/added chaeto and a light to the refugium after cycling and when we were preparing to add mandarins. But—when we started our second predator tank we didn’t add copepods (at least not intentionally), but had an explosion of copepods at the end of week 2 of cycling. They came in on something.. But they continue to thrive to this day in a now cycled tank with predators that don’t eat them. The glass is coated with them. We don’t dose the pred tank with green phyto like we do the reef tank to intentionally feed the copepods for the dragonets, but they’re thriving.

I would recommend adding them after cycling though because you want to get your parameters zeroed out/stabilized before you’re adding copepods and the phyto to feed them etc. because when you start dosing phyto you start at a low dose as to allow the biological filtration in the tank to adjust to the increase in nutrients.
Yup. I started my tank with liverock and also seeded with sediment/live rock from a local reefer so i'm thinking I got off to a pretty good start. Nitrates only got up to about 2ppm. Just added my first stock so i'll be keeping a close eye on everything and doing a water change on Sunday.

NormalRandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DirtDiggler2823
I've been reading that a new tank can be rife with algae after it cycles. I've also read that copepods eat algae. With that being said, shouldn't pods be the first creatures added to a reef tank post cycle? There should be plenty of food available. No predation, and for the most part, stable water conditions. Please let me know what ya'll think of that idea. I'd like to get the biome established before adding any actual livestock to the tank.
If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up doing here, and how did it work out? Looks like I am where you were 3 years ago and am thinking of going the same route for the same reasons. Nothing set up yet and in no rush. I was thinking I'd add livestock in this order, and wait for things to stabilize between each step: CYCLE, pods, a few motile invertebrate CUC, a few fish, macroalgae display refugium, a few more fish, and then start in on coral only when that all has been set up and stable for a while.

stephenwjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per copepods.... add them when algae starts to grow. They have enough food then. If algae is growing you’re prolly at the end of the cycle and they will be fine. FWIW, I add pods every 3-4 months. I want to make sure my Wrasse has something to entertain himself with and I also believe in genetic diversity!
I have been cycling my 36g tank since late December with no lights. Started getting some brown algae so added a very small sailfin tang, turbo snails, emerald crab, hermit crabs and sand sifting snails.

I have not seen any comments about lighting. Is it ok to add copepods before the light is added? I want the bio-diversity but want to do it properly. Should I add the copepods before the lighting is added? I plan on turning the lights on this May.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DirtDiggler2823

If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up doing here, and how did it work out? Looks like I am where you were 3 years ago and am thinking of going the same route for the same reasons. Nothing set up yet and in no rush. I was thinking I'd add livestock in this order, and wait for things to stabilize between each step: CYCLE, pods, a few motile invertebrate CUC, a few fish, macroalgae display refugium, a few more fish, and then start in on coral only when that all has been set up and stable for a while.
I ended up adding copepods after the cycle was complete, but honestly you can add them once you get your refugium established just as well. I've also added amphipods as they are bigger and do a good amount of cleaning.

NormalRandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up adding copepods after the cycle was complete, but honestly you can add them once you get your refugium established just as well. I've also added amphipods as they are bigger and do a good amount of cleaning.
Thanks! Now I gotta go research amphipods. Hope your tank is doing well! I just ordered my Planet Aquarium 215G so I have lots of time to learn.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Now I gotta go research amphipods. Hope your tank is doing well! I just ordered my Planet Aquarium 215G so I have lots of time to learn.
I've swapped from the initial 90 gallon to a 120, and learned a lot in the process. Good that you're going big in the beginning, you'll thank yourself once you get established. My reef is doing fine, thank you for asking!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never added any pods !

I have 3 wrasse , 2 mandarins and a bunch of other predators that consume them .
every time I pull the filter cloth it’s covered in pods .
as long as there is enough rocks in a place where they can reproduce ( sump )

Grab a few pieces of live rock ..

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back