When to add first coral

chiroboy126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have been cycling my 75 gal display tank since 4/2/23, and all has been going great. Since then, my clowns have finished QT and are thriving in the display tank. I believe my cycle finished weeks ago, and water parameters are consistently stable. I was at my LFS, and they have a great price on a toadstool leather I've been eyeing and wanting to be my first coral addition to the tank. My problem is I haven't had an algae bloom yet. I just installed lights about 2 weeks ago, so I know it's coming, but I was wondering if it would be wise to wait for that to happen? I keep reading different opinions, so I'm a bit confused. Like I said, the price is great, but I've been patient and have no problem continuing to be. But if it won't hurt anything and the risk to the coral is low, I'd like to take advantage. Thoughts?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel there is no right or wrong answer. If you feel your tank is ready, then there's nothing wrong with getting a couple of cheap corals to test your tank. Don't go buy a $400 scoly as your first coral, but try a couple of $10 zoa's or mushrooms or something. If they are alive and well next month, add a couple more....

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have been cycling my 75 gal display tank since 4/2/23, and all has been going great. Since then, my clowns have finished QT and are thriving in the display tank. I believe my cycle finished weeks ago, and water parameters are consistently stable. I was at my LFS, and they have a great price on a toadstool leather I've been eyeing and wanting to be my first coral addition to the tank. My problem is I haven't had an algae bloom yet. I just installed lights about 2 weeks ago, so I know it's coming, but I was wondering if it would be wise to wait for that to happen? I keep reading different opinions, so I'm a bit confused. Like I said, the price is great, but I've been patient and have no problem continuing to be. But if it won't hurt anything and the risk to the coral is low, I'd like to take advantage. Thoughts?
Personally I’d go for it. MY personal opinion is that the corals will bring in some more diversity also. Just different bacteria and sometimes critters. Both good and bad.
EDIt: I would dip every coral though. You might kill something good but hopefully you’ll get all the bad!

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was just listening to a Reef Therapy where Jake was talking about this exact thing. His suggestion was to cycle the tank using some inexpensive starter corals RATHER than fish. Lots of good bacteria (and some hitchhikers) accompany frag plugs and even the corals themselves. He was a strong believer in this being a better (more humane) method than cycling with fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back