When to add first corals?

Roman'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75 gallon finished cycling couple days ago and im going to add a bangai cardinal in the following week but was wondering when I can start adding my first beginner corals like zoas or wtv?

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is cycled you can try a few easy corals now.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75 gallon finished cycling couple days ago and im going to add a bangai cardinal in the following week but was wondering when I can start adding my first beginner corals like zoas or wtv?
Soft corals (like zoas, mushrooms, leathers) are fine at this point.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright i will maybe try a few easy corals then only thing is i dont know if my nitrates and phosphates are good
Bring a sample to the store and ask them to test for you if you don’t have any tests yet.

I doubt they’re off the chart at this point, unless you used tons of ammonia to cycle. Did you do a WC after cycling ?

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you have nitrates as your tank is cycled. Throw in some frozen mysis and you will have phosphates.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could start with a zoa or leather and see how the do. Don’t rush

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test corals are easiest, GSP, pulsing zenia, these are generally very hardy and forgiving , if you can keep these this is proberbly best start. unsure on zoas but I assume anything cheap will provide good indication of survivalibilty, even the £25 -£50 plus range, something mid range as a start budget... then progress from there.
It will take months to monitor and grow anything above and beyond this but it depends on your aquarium, experience and what you are looking for from your aquarium.
Lots and lots and loads of options, do what's comfortable for you, your life schedules

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okok i think i will try with some zoas and maybe a clove polyp coral
Also zinia are a a great beginner coral. It grows like crazy so need to keep it trimmed

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okok i think i will try with some zoas and maybe a clove polyp coral
Cloves and Xenia can get out of hand quickly, so plan to keep either of these on their own "island" so they can't take over your entire rockscape.

OP
OP
R

Roman'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloves and Xenia can get out of hand quickly, so plan to keep either of these on their own "island" so they can't take over your entire rockscape.
Exactly, I think im going to put a clove on an island but where should I put my zoas. Thinking on an island too but wanna get other's opinions

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, I think im going to put a clove on an island but where should I put my zoas. Thinking on an island too but wanna get other's opinions
Ya, an island also for your zoa as they will also take over your rock scape. So many with so many colors!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright i will maybe try a few easy corals then only thing is i dont know if my nitrates and phosphates are good
You need to know and maintain both those nutrients for long term success, especially for softies which many mop up those nutrients quickly, then everything shrinks and dies.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back