When to give up on my chalice?

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Joined
Jul 8, 2021
Messages
5,878
Reaction score
24,774
Location
Idaho
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This chalice was one of the first I added to my tank, had been surviving about 6 months, had been glued to rock and started to encrusted into it. Then about a month ago I start to see receding tissue and it's progressed pretty fast. Two things, it's had a barnacle that I first thought was just a funky part of it, I thought it was a type of polyp, but I researched and critter ID'd it to be barnacles. I've read that they are harmless, but because of the tissue loss and algae taking hold, I decided to do a therapeutic iodine coral dip. It appears the barnacle died, I haven't seen any fan movement.

The chalice still glows in spots under blues. How long should I give it before I give up?

20211110_163736.jpg 20211110_163708.jpg 20211110_163656.jpg 20211110_163607.jpg
 
As long as there is tissue left It can recover.

Chalice usually do better in lower light, I would move it to a place where it is getting low light and moderate flow and hope for the best.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new