When was the last time you have a had sick fish in your aquarium? What was it?

When was the last time you had a sick fish in your saltwater reef aquarium?

• I have a sick fish now

Votes: 45 16.4%
  • It's been a few months

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • It's been over six months

Votes: 22 8.0%
  • Almost a year

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • Over a Year

Votes: 31 11.3%
  • Between a year and two years

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • 2+ Years

Votes: 93 33.9%

• Total voters

Kpdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the current price of chloroquine phosphate from Diamondback for 100 grams?

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Purple Tang, my dream fish, 3 days later it developed ICH, it didn't survive, took most of my fish with it :crying-face:

mandyvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this is classified as a suck fish or not. I had gotten some Caribbean blue chromises. Beautiful blue fish. It was a group of 6 from Divers Den. Two jumped out initially, so I had 4. About a year in. 3 of them picked on one. Until he had to find a hiding spot and would no longer eat. Then there were 3. . . Then all of a sudden the 2 remaining just started attacking the third just out of the blue and they were vicious. I'd never seen them act like that. The third had some damage to his scales, started swimming eratically and stopped eating. Had to retrieve him before he got sicker and spread something. Then there were 2... A few months later one of the two started acting erratically. Looked to have swim bladder issues but upon observation he had damage to his scales, and further observation the one remaining was picking at him constantly. He too died, and there was one.. Which I still have. This picking off of chromises happened over a 2 year period. The one remaining is moving into his 3 rd year in my tank.

Doing some research I have discovered Chromises in general have a 2-3 year life span in captivity. Did the fish know they were dying due to old age and decide to help the process along? Or was there immune system weakened due to old age and their health declined, this brought on further attacks out of self preservation?

The other fish in my display are going on 3 years old with no signs of disease or illness other than maybe obesity. . .

The one chromis remains peaceful now with his other inhabitants. So, I have no idea if it was disease or fish are just malicious and just snap.
Part of your description is similar to our recent experience with green chromis from LFS over the past 3 days in the QT tank. We started with 6 (their limit, and all we wanted anyway). They mostly hung out toward the bottom of the tank, but otherwise nothing seemed out of the ordinary. This was our first fish purchase from this particular LFS.
We are down to 2 today. I thought those two were gone this evening at feeding time, I found them hunkered below the end of the heater. Temperature checks out what the probe is also reading, 79°F, water parameters same as other tanks using same saltwater. After they ate, one hung out under a corner of rock and the other stayed tucked below the heater.
They are pretty transparent, it takes me some time to find them especially without the light. So far no signs of attack or illness, so I don’t really know if they are sick, but 4 of them died. The only other fish sickness and death we’ve had was a shipped fairy wrasse, where this forum was helpful to know how common that problem had become.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess about a year ago bought a powder blue tang with ick cheap cause he was dying. Now he has become the tank assassin, I may remove him now.

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of your description is similar to our recent experience with green chromis from LFS over the past 3 days in the QT tank. We started with 6 (their limit, and all we wanted anyway). They mostly hung out toward the bottom of the tank, but otherwise nothing seemed out of the ordinary. This was our first fish purchase from this particular LFS.
We are down to 2 today. I thought those two were gone this evening at feeding time, I found them hunkered below the end of the heater. Temperature checks out what the probe is also reading, 79°F, water parameters same as other tanks using same saltwater. After they ate, one hung out under a corner of rock and the other stayed tucked below the heater.
They are pretty transparent, it takes me some time to find them especially without the light. So far no signs of attack or illness, so I don’t really know if they are sick, but 4 of them died. The only other fish sickness and death we’ve had was a shipped fairy wrasse, where this forum was helpful to know how common that problem had become.
i had a pair of Anthias i just looked at the tank it was dead laying on top of fan i always notice when the fish start coming up for air a little and try to hide i know something is wrong but they always go to the top of the tank can't figure it out first fish in a while hope it stays like that

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a pair of Anthias i just looked at the tank it was dead laying on top of fan i always notice when the fish start coming up for air a little and try to hide i know something is wrong but they always go to the top of the tank can't figure it out first fish in a while hope it stays like that
ok have a good question i sent my ICP kit away to Colorado about 3 and a half weeks ago how long is average time for a answer i'm sitting here like a expected father just want to have a idea thanks Gary

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last sick fish was a pajama cardinalfish with Popeye. I treated it with antibiotics in a hospital tank and its eye changed from an angry red to an opaque white. The swelling did not go down but the fish began to act normal again. I would say that it lived about 6 more months after treatment. That was probably 9 months ago that it died.

Before that I had not had a sick fish in many years.

mandyvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, the research I miss before picking up a fish… evidently there can be only one chromi. Last Chromi Standing. Noted.

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
> 2years, but… all fish went to QT, no aditions, very few new items (corals, inverts etc for 1 year… I can say it is pretty ich-oodinium-brook-flukes free at the moment. I only keep 7 fish to keep the tank pretty clean - my targets are the corals actually…

Actually only one of these 7 fish had brook 4 years ago, but it was on another tank and was treated (nearly died at that point).

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just lost my wife’s broomtail wrasse that we have had for over a year. Started dosing homemade No-pox and from what I’m told it might have depleted the ice gym levels.
First fish she picked out. I’m going to be in deep trouble when I get home and tell her.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back