When was the last time you have a had sick fish in your aquarium? What was it?

When was the last time you had a sick fish in your saltwater reef aquarium?

• I have a sick fish now

Votes: 45 16.4%
  • It's been a few months

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • It's been over six months

Votes: 22 8.0%
  • Almost a year

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • Over a Year

Votes: 31 11.3%
  • Between a year and two years

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • 2+ Years

Votes: 93 33.9%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
**Please don't post about vendors or vendor reviews in this thread, us the appropriate forums**

Thinking about fish disease has me wondering how often people are having to deal with sick fish. It's been a long time since I've had a sick fish, like years I believe. Then again I haven't added any new fish in probably a couple years. But I still wonder about you and your fish so let's talk about it today!

1. When was the last time you had a sick fish in your saltwater reef aquarium?

2. How was your fish sick? What disease or injury etc?

image via @RedzaRamzan
20200706_224153.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Been over 3 maybe even 4 years with a velvet outbreak after introduction of Achilles tang. Was able to save all fish but a chevron tang

Last edited:

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago when I was having lots of issues with water quality I had some ick and more concerning was a bacterial infection on my regal angel. I honestly thought I was going to loose the regal angel but after a couple rounds of ParaGuard dips the regal angels infection cleared up and the rest of the fish which had ick cleared up on its own once the water quality was improved.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been ~5 months for me. I had an ich outbreak (came in on an Orchid Dottyback). Lost a tailspot blenny and the dottyback in QT, rehomed the remaining clown.

Disease has been rarer and rarer the longer I've gone in this hobby, and most I attribute to my own carelessness. In my previous reef, I lost a clown and a coral beauty in the first 4 months. Nothing in the 3 years after that. I dialed in the QT process, stabilized parameters, and kept clean water. This recent ich outbreak happened because I got cocky and decided not to QT the dottyback.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had any serious / notable illnesses for maybe 3 years now when a velvet outbreak killed almost everything. *knock on wood.*

I just purchased a UV sterilizer for disease prevention (not a cure, I know). I also try to feed a robust mixture of pellet, refrigerated, and frozen food items to keep the fish healthy.

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im starting up my third reef tank a 125 and im ordering all my fish from my lfs who i have gone to for basically the entire time i was in this hobby by far way better than 98% percent of all the other local lfs and chains. His tanks are always clean corals look amazing fish are always healthy for the most part (the only time thier not is because they didnt ship well from his suppliers) and hes very knowledgeable. He does a 3 week to a month qt with different medications and lets the fish sit for the last week in clean saltwater for observation and to make sure fish are eating before anybody can get the fish from his store. (Obviously he doesn't medicate more sensitive fish but observes them for that time in thier own systems to prevent possible outbreak because he cant medicate.)

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my 3rd ich outbreak about 6 months ago. (Yes I QT'd fish but think it came in on snails or macro algae - have had trouble successfully QT'ing them). This time I decided to not to treat them since I lost fish during quarantine the last 2 times. It actually cleared up on its own, so I've just been monitoring them since and concentrating on a healthy diet and clean water. Planning to add a UV Sterilizer to help. Just trying to figure out the best way to hook it up. :rolleyes:

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most recent disease i had was ich on my powder brown tang about 5 months ago but i did get him from petco and didnt qt him. I learned my lesson about not getting fish from better places that take the time to make sure the fish are healthy and eating before they are sold and do qt for about a month before they get sold. Thats why im going with my lfs to stock my new tank with who does that suff for all my fish to make sure i dont have sick fish from the start and stay that way. (Even though his prices are slightly higher its worth it for the peace of mind of not having issues or disease outbreak.

Kpdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been over 3 maybe even 4 years with a velvet outbreak after introduction of Achilles tang. Was able to save all fish but an Achilles tang
How did you go about that? How big was the display? I have a 280 display and I have a velvet outbreak now. The problem is, I have 30 fish in it with a wide assortment. 4 Tangs, several wrasses, clowns, blennies, gobies, cardinals etc. Sand bottom and live rock. I have a 100 gal hex tank half full of salt water to put them in.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back