When was the last time you have a had sick fish in your aquarium? What was it?

When was the last time you had a sick fish in your saltwater reef aquarium?

• I have a sick fish now

Votes: 45 16.4%
  • It's been a few months

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • It's been over six months

Votes: 22 8.0%
  • Almost a year

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • Over a Year

Votes: 31 11.3%
  • Between a year and two years

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • 2+ Years

Votes: 93 33.9%

• Total voters

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang with fin rot right now but healing really quickly and well thanks to some medication in quarantine. Every day his fins just get bigger!
93CA8607-EB03-4D97-AB19-F1FDAB14C8A6.jpeg

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago my Black Velvet Angelfish caught flukes. Worried this would affect all the other fish, as it has happened and surely did happen, I took him out and did a freshwater dip for a few minutes. All the visible parent flukes came off of him. I proceeded then to add him back into the main display, as I didn’t have a quarantine tank set up, and added PraziPro. This worked as a charm as I have not had flukes ever since, and the Angel as well as the rest of my fish are all healthy and beautiful.

rcrutherford44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't a sick fish, but did lose a Filipino tang to my anemones. 1 day fine, next day he looked like he was whipped & stuck to the wavemakers. Had over a dozen nemes in a 230. Had a reef remodel not too long after to purge the heard. Down to 3 now.

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on if you're talking about display or quarantine system. I got velvet in my last tank about 8 years ago but haven't had any sick fish in either of my displays since. I have, however, had a few sick fish that I've dealt with in my quarantine system - flukes, ich and brooklynella

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a velvet outbreak that I chronicled in my multiple dwarf angel thread last December. Killed 13 fish even with dipping the ones I could. I marked current sick fish because the lone survivor, my cherub angel would be a carrier for the disease. Currently attempting a fish trap to extract him from the main display so the system can go fallow.
NEVER NOT QUARANTINE, PERIOD.

guily yalai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sick betta in the freshwater tank and it is gone one year ago.

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had four Vanderbilt Chromis die a few months ago no other fish affected

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been long enough that I honestly don't remember when - at least 5, maybe 10 years.

I buy only from a trusted LFS, and spend plenty of time observing before I buy. The fish then goes into QT until it is eating well.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my YWG about 7 months ago to an injury that I can only guess was inflicted by her pistol shrimp. Weird thing was that over the course of a few months the injury seemed to be healing well, her behavior seemed normal, and I had no reason to think she wouldn't make a full recovery, but then she suddenly stopped eating and that was that. :(

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this is classified as a suck fish or not. I had gotten some Caribbean blue chromises. Beautiful blue fish. It was a group of 6 from Divers Den. Two jumped out initially, so I had 4. About a year in. 3 of them picked on one. Until he had to find a hiding spot and would no longer eat. Then there were 3. . . Then all of a sudden the 2 remaining just started attacking the third just out of the blue and they were vicious. I'd never seen them act like that. The third had some damage to his scales, started swimming eratically and stopped eating. Had to retrieve him before he got sicker and spread something. Then there were 2... A few months later one of the two started acting erratically. Looked to have swim bladder issues but upon observation he had damage to his scales, and further observation the one remaining was picking at him constantly. He too died, and there was one.. Which I still have. This picking off of chromises happened over a 2 year period. The one remaining is moving into his 3 rd year in my tank.

Doing some research I have discovered Chromises in general have a 2-3 year life span in captivity. Did the fish know they were dying due to old age and decide to help the process along? Or was there immune system weakened due to old age and their health declined, this brought on further attacks out of self preservation?

The other fish in my display are going on 3 years old with no signs of disease or illness other than maybe obesity. . .

The one chromis remains peaceful now with his other inhabitants. So, I have no idea if it was disease or fish are just malicious and just snap.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an older pajama cardinalfish with a bad case of pop eye. I treated him with Furan 2 a broad spectrum antibiotic and the awful red in the eye (that looked very painful) changed to an opaque white. I suspect the pain left but I do not think he ever recovered his sight. He did however resume chasing his buddy just as he always used to and regained his hearty appetite. He lived 6-9 months after his treatment and I just found him dead one morning.

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have ich in my tank. I see a few spots on one or two of my tangs every so often but with good water quality and good feeding it's not causing any issues.
Fingers crossed it stays that way

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**Please don't post about vendors or vendor reviews in this thread, us the appropriate forums**

Thinking about fish disease has me wondering how often people are having to deal with sick fish. It's been a long time since I've had a sick fish, like years I believe. Then again I haven't added any new fish in probably a couple years. But I still wonder about you and your fish so let's talk about it today!

1. When was the last time you had a sick fish in your saltwater reef aquarium?

2. How was your fish sick? What disease or injury etc?

image via @RedzaRamzan
20200706_224153.jpg
I lost a clown which I thought was from the female being aggressive, but it had a mark on its chin like this photo a few weeks before it died. What is this?

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm trying to get my tank squared away correctly i just want to know why my fish don't get sicthey just die i bought a pair of firertail gobby 1 died so i go and get a second one one dies now i go for the biggest gobby in the lfs now i buy 2 PJ i find one dead about 3 maybe 4 days ago today this morning i find the other PJ ALK 12 PO 0.03 NITRATE IS AT 10 MAYBE A TOUCH LESS CAL.400 MAG 1360 why can't mu fish if the get sick maybe i could get something to help them they never get sick just die HELP

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only ever time I have had a close call with disease was on a CB. She was still in the bag when I saw it so she was returned. This has to have been 2 years ago now - The Angel later died in the LFS QT but it wasn’t expected to survive.
Other than that, I’ve not faced disease for Atleast 10 years. I know, shocking as I don’t even QT, I just use established tanks with plenty of food to graze and the 2/3 hours I spend at the LFS to keep watching the fish and make sure I see no disease on them.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a clown which I thought was from the female being aggressive, but it had a mark on its chin like this photo a few weeks before it died. What is this?
The pic looks like a bacterial infection caused by damage. Most likely the clown got injured in a lip-lock fight and the wound got infected. If bad it would keep the fish from eating, and continued aggression from the female wouldn’t help either.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back