When will my nopox kick in!!!?????

Mom.VS.Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing nopox in my tank for over a month and my p04 has no moved at all, my n03 is slowly going down.
Help what else can I do... I minimize feedings, do all my equipments and water changes/cleaning appropriately... act.

also in the middle of a algae bloom that’s effecting only my glass...

I dose vibrant and prime as well.

image.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing nopox in my tank for over a month and my p04 has no moved at all, my n03 is slowly going down.
Help what else can I do... I minimize feedings, do all my equipments and water changes/cleaning appropriately... act.

Im not sure why you are adding so many chemicals to your tank.
Stop the prime and vibrant.
As for Po4 you could try GFO in a reactor or filter sock.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg

If the algae bloom is only affecting your glass, you don't have an algae bloom. You have glass that needs scraped.

What's your CUC like? What algae scraper do you have?

ReefScooter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like too many chemical treatments at once. What were you originally using these treatments for?
I added Phosbond and Carbon for chemical assistance. When my PO4 started reaching 0.08-0.1 and within a few days was down to 0.03 PO4 and 5-10 NO3 which had remained stable from prior to adding the Phosbond. Hope that helps.
I have to clean my glass every 48-72 hours otherwise it looks like yours. Nothing out of the ordinary for a newer tank.

OP
OP
Mom.VS.Reef

Mom.VS.Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the algae bloom is only affecting your glass, you don't have an algae bloom. You have glass that needs scraped.

What's your CUC like? What algae scraper do you have?
Also I clean my glass several times a day. It always looks clean right after but then gets dirty quickly. I do believe it’s a algae bloom as the whole tank is foggy.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant for the dinos, prime bc I was told it will help lots..

If you have dinos, you need to raise phosphate, not lower it (of which vibrant lowers it).

Also you are not dosing "too many chemicals." Everything we put I the tank is made up of chemicals. Prime isn't necessary unless you have a spike in ammonia or nitrite or are dehclorinating tap water.

OP
OP
Mom.VS.Reef

Mom.VS.Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have dinos, you need to raise phosphate, not lower it (of which vibrant lowers it).

Also you are not dosing "too many chemicals." Everything we put I the tank is made up of chemicals. Prime isn't necessary unless you have a spike in ammonia or nitrite or are dehclorinating tap water.
Ok I understand. Thank you.

I thought that phosphates are suppose to be fairly low? Like 0.03 ish?
Do they not cause harm when they are that high?
Also I was under the understanding that phosphates being high is what is causing a algae bloom or my algae of some kind.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Phosphate should be at 0.03 minimum. Some reef tanks run just fine with up to 1-2ppm phosphate. 0 phosphate will kill your corals.

Excess nutrients may cause an algae bloom. However, if your algae is confined to the glass, that's not an algae issue. You just need to clean the glass.

In a healthy, mature reef tank, the rock is covered in various slow-growing algaes that outcompete pests without bothering corals. Stop dosing everything, keep your phosphate at or above 0.03ppm and nitrate at or above 5ppm, and don't touch anything. If you have confirmed dinos, crank the nutrients up. And, again: stop dosing things. Vibrant has little to no effect on dinos, but it WILL kill off the rest of your biodiversity.

To fight dinos, you need nutrients, to encourage algae and copepods that compete with and feed on the dinos. Dinos thrive with no competition, so you need competition.

If your glass is dirty, either add a few more snails or scrape it more often.

If your phosphate is actually too high, just increase water changes slightly. If you have dinos, don't touch the phosphate unless you're trying to increase it.

ReefScooter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Excellent point and I agree. Poor choice of wording. Not well thought out either.
I meant. Seems like you're using a lot of different products in tandem to hopefully deal a death blow to the problems OP's experiencing.
I am a noob and learning always. If the water column is foggy and glass is accumulating growth that quickly. The tank is out of balance.
How long has this been happening for, the high phosphates? How long has the tank been running?
I ask mostly out of personal curiosity but who knows... I have scoured through a good deal of this forums informative offerings.
Best of luck. Hope you get it figured out. I am currently dealing with fish issues. First time. Woohoo.

We are all on the rollercoaster together. Some of us are just at different highs or lows along the way.

OP
OP
Mom.VS.Reef

Mom.VS.Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate should be at 0.03 minimum. Some reef tanks run just fine with up to 1-2ppm phosphate. 0 phosphate will kill your corals.

Excess nutrients may cause an algae bloom. However, if your algae is confined to the glass, that's not an algae issue. You just need to clean the glass.

In a healthy, mature reef tank, the rock is covered in various slow-growing algaes that outcompete pests without bothering corals. Stop dosing everything, keep your phosphate at or above 0.03ppm and nitrate at or above 5ppm, and don't touch anything. If you have confirmed dinos, crank the nutrients up. And, again: stop dosing things. Vibrant has little to no effect on dinos, but it WILL kill off the rest of your biodiversity.

To fight dinos, you need nutrients, to encourage algae and copepods that compete with and feed on the dinos. Dinos thrive with no competition, so you need competition.

If your glass is dirty, either add a few more snails or scrape it more often.

If your phosphate is actually too high, just increase water changes slightly. If you have dinos, don't touch the phosphate unless you're trying to increase it.
Ok great thank you!
My phosphates read over 200ppb. Which is 0.2.ppm I think? So I’m good?

How do I rank up the nutrients? By adding beneficial bacteria?

OP
OP
Mom.VS.Reef

Mom.VS.Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent point and I agree. Poor choice of wording. Not well thought out either.
I meant. Seems like you're using a lot of different products in tandem to hopefully deal a death blow to the problems OP's experiencing.
I am a noob and learning always. If the water column is foggy and glass is accumulating growth that quickly. The tank is out of balance.
How long has this been happening for, the high phosphates? How long has the tank been running?
I ask mostly out of personal curiosity but who knows... I have scoured through a good deal of this forums informative offerings.
Best of luck. Hope you get it figured out. I am currently dealing with fish issues. First time. Woohoo.

We are all on the rollercoaster together. Some of us are just at different highs or lows along the way.
It’s been about two months since I had what was a Dino out break, and some cyano, now I have slowly gotten this. The tank has been up and running for 8 months.
im unsure about the phosphates as I did not have a testing till I had the break out.

OP
OP
Mom.VS.Reef

Mom.VS.Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like too many chemical treatments at once. What were you originally using these treatments for?
I added Phosbond and Carbon for chemical assistance. When my PO4 started reaching 0.08-0.1 and within a few days was down to 0.03 PO4 and 5-10 NO3 which had remained stable from prior to adding the Phosbond. Hope that helps.
I have to clean my glass every 48-72 hours otherwise it looks like yours. Nothing out of the ordinary for a newer tank.
Dinos, cyano, nitrates. Sweet thank you!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great thank you!
My phosphates read over 200ppb. Which is 0.2.ppm I think? So I’m good?

How do I rank up the nutrients? By adding beneficial bacteria?

If phosphates are at .2 then you can keep dosing vibrant. Just make sure to watch nitrate too

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a hong on UV or something? some dinos are killed by UV and the water looks cloudy so I think it could help (iof the water is cloudy in person then try stopping nopox and vibrant for now.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back