When would you say is a good time to frag a retain zoa?

Paparchasa84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to get an idea of what you guys think. I want to be able to have multiples of mine so I can put th in different area of my tank so I can see what works best. Would you say once a frag reaches 5,8,10+ heads?

Side note all of my zoas which are mostly high end have been taken from another reefers tank no wild ones if that factors into anything.

Thanks,

Alex

PolandSpring

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rule for myself. I dont cut any polyps until I reach 15polyps unless a polyp is kinda hanging off to the side I'll just slice it right off.

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what I have been doing is once I start getting growth on the plug or rubble they came on (so I know they are doing well), I frag some (maybe half but usually less) off of that to put on my zoa garden rock. It takes a little longer to establish a nice colony on your rock that way, but you also don't end up with a bunch of ugly plugs everywhere.. and you still have the original plug with plenty on it to sell or trade.. does that make sense?

OP
OP
P

Paparchasa84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys that makes perfect sense. Now what size do they have to be full or almost full mature heads or for example say I hit 10 heads on my AOG but only 5 are full mature heads and the other 5 are adolescent and babies then would you wait until you have the majority of maure heads or frag anyway?

Telefonica007

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey paparchasa84, dont forget about me! im waiting on the blastos colony we agreed on for our trade. you got the zoas i sent but its been 2 weeks and im still waiting on your package to arrive... i usually leave frags alone till i have 10-15p

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 96 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 100 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 21 9.7%
Back