When you wish upon tang

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to discuss my theoretical one day tank. In a couple of years we plan to move, so I have to wait to do this one. I want a school of Powder Blue or Nasso tangs. Anything else would be based around this concept. The idea is to build an aquarium around this idea. My husband is going to practice building stumps and tanks that are smaller for now. By the time we can do this tank he should be ready to try one that's thousands of gallons. I'm thinking maybe something like what DIY Fish Keeper has for his rays. Is a couple thousand gallons enough for school of these fish as adults? Is there any likely complication I'll run into other than ich?

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To even attempt this I would say you will need a crazy big tank. Like public aquarium sized. I’m thinking a minimum of 20x10x4 and I mean feet.
Yeah I get that you mean feet lol .Okay that still might be doable. I was originally thinking 2000 gallons, but i can change the plan to something a bit bigger.

Anyone else think that 2000ish needs to be bumped to 6000 for this to work?

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main issue you will have is that even though PBT’s do form schools in the wild they are temporary. If you can get enough to live together you may see some schooling behavior but you will most likely just have aggression. I’ve seen much larger tanks than the one I suggested with only about 10 PBT’s which is probably fewer than you hope to keep.

As far as I know Naso tangs do not form schools like PBT’s. I really hate to burst bubbles but I do not think you will be able to make your dream come true.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main issue you will have is that even though PBT’s do form schools in the wild they are temporary. If you can get enough to live together you may see some schooling behavior but you will most likely just have aggression. I’ve seen much larger tanks than the one I suggested with only about 10 PBT’s which is probably fewer than you hope to keep.

As far as I know Naso tangs do not form schools like PBT’s. I really hate to burst bubbles but I do not think you will be able to make your dream come true.
Some bubbles need to be burs. Much better now than after I build the tank. I didn't have a particular number in mind. I just knew that there is likely a sweet spot where overall aggression is reduced because of the numbers of individuals.

Thanks for the info.

Blastonator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always thought of a large volume dream tank being made out of concrete with acrylic panels. Like they do at the public aquariums/zoos/sea world. I would go that route and make those dreams a reality. I looked at DIY fish guys large square glass ray tank and IMO I wouldn't feel comfortable with that kind of volume of water in something as awkwardly shaped like that.

Even in public aquariums I hardly ever see tangs schooling. Two might swim together but they're not gonna look like tiny chromis all huddled together in the tank. Especially if there's no predator in the tank to make a fish school as their natural form of defense.

Either way, awesome dream.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always thought of a large volume dream tank being made out of concrete with acrylic panels. Like they do at the public aquariums/zoos/sea world. I would go that route and make those dreams a reality. I looked at DIY fish guys large square glass ray tank and IMO I wouldn't feel comfortable with that kind of volume of water in something as awkwardly shaped like that.

Even in public aquariums I hardly ever see tangs schooling. Two might swim together but they're not gonna look like tiny chromis all huddled together in the tank. Especially if there's no predator in the tank to make a fish school as their natural form of defense.

Either way, awesome dream.
Thanks, I actually was already planning for it to be made that way. I'd rather have the design be easy overkill. Also I've been wanting to play with forms and pouring concrete for years

I originally became interested because I wanted to make a Koi pond in a U shape around an aviary. It would have a slight slope all the way around with 3 50g drums with 3 different types of media + planting somehow protected from the Koi. The idea was I could spray down my aviary and let Evelyn everything wash into the pond where it would be used for food and nutrients. I designed it and started digging, but my mom kept changing her mind about it and the placement and I was still living with her at the time, so she had the final say.

Anyhow as for the predator bit, what about if there was a low threat predator in the tank as well? Could that make this work?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blues form schools for migration, but that behavior is temporary and seasonal. Most of the time they are pr forming and very territorial. Each pr would probably need a minimum of 10' x 10' before tolerating more conspecifics.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blues form schools for migration, but that behavior is temporary and seasonal. Most of the time they are pr forming and very territorial. Each pr would probably need a minimum of 10' x 10' before tolerating more conspecifics.
Ooh okay. Thanks for that info. Do pairs tend to stick close together? Trying just 1 pair might be cool too.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know for sure as I have never had more then 2 tangs in a tank. But I think you would have better luck with naso tangs as the tend to be less aggressive. I am not sure if they are a schooling fish

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish in the wild school as juveniles and then again for mating. Most of their time is spent a singularly or as a pair. That's most fish, from small reef fish to large pelagics.

U

User1

View Badges
Just keep in mind that has your water volume increase so does everything else. Water changes, salt mix (unless you are using NSW), lighting, and a skimmer to name a few. You probably have it dialed in but I know I was hit by this when I upgraded to a 210 gallon tank. I was mixing the first batch of water when it hit me I didn't have enough salt mix.

Anyway take a look at some of the other tangs such as yellows. Believe it or not you may have better luck with damsels (yes, trust me), angels, and anthias if you set up the reef properly. The key is to have a reef crest design with some open water surrounding it with proper coral for places to dart in and out of. Not sure if you are a scuba diver but if so then chances are high you know what I mean. If not youtube it - the 4k reef is a good enough example.

In any case best of luck.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lov your idea but not sure how it will work. We had 3 tanks with 2 or more
Tangs in each and decided to upgrade to 300gal. Added all our fish and tangs at the same time and thought we had planned well for a large tang tank but have had some trouble.
Started with:
Regal tang, powder brown, Caribbean blue, naso, scopa, purple, dejardini, yellow, Tomini, blue eye kole, and chevron. All varied sizes but similar in the same class. Regal tang was the oldest and largest. One day for no reason after 1 month in the tank the naso didn’t eat and died. My purple tormented the scopa so we moved the scopa to 180 fish only with 10”sohal( thank goodness ignored it). Then after 6months powder brown went crazy chasing the dejardini and the yellow until they didn’t eat. Removed the powder brown (he’s still in quarantine waiting for his new 90 gal to cycle. 9days ago found blue eyed kole in bad shape obviously fighting. Then found tomini in worse shape almost dead. Able to move tomini to another quarantine tank. Gave tomini antibiotics and he is coming back and eating just nori. Will move tomini and powder brown into new 90 gal together. Tomini to Move first then powder brown last. Thought we could break the tang rules and have many different kinds and colors but finding out they are still tangs and cause chaos. Now the Caribbean blue is trying to dominate all the others. Still have 7 in 300gal. And 25+ other fish. 180 gal has just two tangs( Sohal and scopes) plus 8 other large fish no coral. And we are starting our 3rd tank. The powder brown and tomini we’re together for 3 years without trouble so hoping will get along again. It sure does take away the fun of the hobby when I see my fish fighting and injuring each other. So next time I might listen to the recommendations instead of trying my own way. Adding a third tank was not cheap but I didn’t want to give up my powder brown had for over 3 years. My local fish store must love me! The LFS offered to take the powder brown for his display but I bought a new tank from him instead! Lol. We wish you the best and can’t wait to read about your build!

EE814893-8119-4072-A17F-659BC59631FD.jpeg

E340D2CB-6CF0-46F6-BA76-1AD5342040DD.jpeg

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lov your idea but not sure how it will work. We had 3 tanks with 2 or more
Tangs in each and decided to upgrade to 300gal. Added all our fish and tangs at the same time and thought we had planned well for a large tang tank but have had some trouble.
Started with:
Regal tang, powder brown, Caribbean blue, naso, scopa, purple, dejardini, yellow, Tomini, blue eye kole, and chevron. All varied sizes but similar in the same class. Regal tang was the oldest and largest. One day for no reason after 1 month in the tank the naso didn’t eat and died. My purple tormented the scopa so we moved the scopa to 180 fish only with 10”sohal( thank goodness ignored it). Then after 6months powder brown went crazy chasing the dejardini and the yellow until they didn’t eat. Removed the powder brown (he’s still in quarantine waiting for his new 90 gal to cycle. 9days ago found blue eyed kole in bad shape obviously fighting. Then found tomini in worse shape almost dead. Able to move tomini to another quarantine tank. Gave tomini antibiotics and he is coming back and eating just nori. Will move tomini and powder brown into new 90 gal together. Tomini to Move first then powder brown last. Thought we could break the tang rules and have many different kinds and colors but finding out they are still tangs and cause chaos. Now the Caribbean blue is trying to dominate all the others. Still have 7 in 300gal. And 25+ other fish. 180 gal has just two tangs( Sohal and scopes) plus 8 other large fish no coral. And we are starting our 3rd tank. The powder brown and tomini we’re together for 3 years without trouble so hoping will get along again. It sure does take away the fun of the hobby when I see my fish fighting and injuring each other. So next time I might listen to the recommendations instead of trying my own way. Adding a third tank was not cheap but I didn’t want to give up my powder brown had for over 3 years. My local fish store must love me! The LFS offered to take the powder brown for his display but I bought a new tank from him instead! Lol. We wish you the best and can’t wait to read about your build!

EE814893-8119-4072-A17F-659BC59631FD.jpeg

E340D2CB-6CF0-46F6-BA76-1AD5342040DD.jpeg
Thanks for the info. Honestly after this thread of I do this it will be with another fish that schools its whole life. Though maybe I'll try to get a pair of one of the ones I want. While tangs are pretty they aren't the ones in crazy over, so I'm fine with those two being my only tangs. For now anyhow. This build is a few years off, so things may change.

By the way is there a place on here to post about freshwater builds and tanks?

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure about the fresh water or if any post about it, sorry. We have never tried freshwater. I told my husband we should get gold fish tank and ended up with 75 gal reef. Loved it so much and had to get “ Dori” bigger home. Went from 75 to have a 75, 90, 120 and 20 nano. Now have taken all those down and have 300, 180 20 gal quarantine and cycling a 90 again. One thing I didn’t really consider is the electric bill! We live in Wisconsin my electric bill is about 350-500$ a month! Had police and electric company come to house but very polite when they saw our tanks.
I would love a koi pond but is a lot of work in Wisconsin with the winter. Can’t wait to hear about your future builds. Honestly that’s my favorite part of this web site. Good luck to you. Best regards, kindel

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure about the fresh water or if any post about it, sorry. We have never tried freshwater. I told my husband we should get gold fish tank and ended up with 75 gal reef. Loved it so much and had to get “ Dori” bigger home. Went from 75 to have a 75, 90, 120 and 20 nano. Now have taken all those down and have 300, 180 20 gal quarantine and cycling a 90 again. One thing I didn’t really consider is the electric bill! We live in Wisconsin my electric bill is about 350-500$ a month! Had police and electric company come to house but very polite when they saw our tanks.
I would love a koi pond but is a lot of work in Wisconsin with the winter. Can’t wait to hear about your future builds. Honestly that’s my favorite part of this web site. Good luck to you. Best regards, kindel
I think I'll get posting on the Lounge to start and mods can move my thread if they want. We will be doing a 200g with small schooling fish. We started the build last year, but got side tracked by other projects. We are coming back to it soon and I'm looking this community so I'd like to post here.

Man that's a lot of tank upgrades. How fa soon did the upgrades happen? Maybe it's time for solar panels

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back