Where are the Tunicates?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Tunicates. They fascinate me. Sponges too. Other than ReefFarmers.com, which is a good source, anyone have ideas where to find some interesting specimens? I do have an LFS keeping their eyes open as well.

Thank you!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good post, I've never thought about buying tunicates. There are some amazingly colored tunicates/sea squirts out there.

Exactly. There is just no demand, so, few have them readily available. I have started my search.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NY Caveman, I've tried a lot of different sponges from the Florida Keys and I'd say even a 6 month old sponge in a reef tank is a success. The best I've ever had was about 3 months. Even the ones that are sold online can be very iffy unless you have the right kind of environment in your tank.

I've brought a couple of tunicates home from the Keys and they were even less hearty than the sponges. Do you know what kind of special care they need, assuming they need special care? When we go snorkeling we tend to find more tunicates in water that is somewhat less devoid of nutrients than water on a reef. Smaller, colorful sponges seem to like that kind of water better as well. Although we do see bigger sponges like vase and barrel sponges in more open and cleaner environments.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NY Caveman, I've tried a lot of different sponges from the Florida Keys and I'd say even a 6 month old sponge in a reef tank is a success. The best I've ever had was about 3 months. Even the ones that are sold online can be very iffy unless you have the right kind of environment in your tank.

I've brought a couple of tunicates home from the Keys and they were even less hearty than the sponges. Do you know what kind of special care they need, assuming they need special care? When we go snorkeling we tend to find more tunicates in water that is somewhat less devoid of nutrients than water on a reef. Smaller, colorful sponges seem to like that kind of water better as well. Although we do see bigger sponges like vase and barrel sponges in more open and cleaner environments.

Thanks for the great info, Ron! Good to know.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great info, Ron! Good to know.

Hey, if I can't try and help out a fellow Reef Squad member, what I'm I doing here! I just wish you could come down to the Keys and go snorkeling with us. It's even more fun than playing inside your tank!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nps tank and ha e been looking for tunicates as well, with no luck.

I think tunicates and maybe even sponges would have a better chance at survival in an NPS tank, especially if the proper foods for tunicates and sponges were added in with food for the NPS corals.

Ratsinmyhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your anywhere near St. Cloud mn they had a small grayish blue tunicates in their shop connected to a clam shell I saw today. When I asked how much they wanted for it, neither employee even knew what it was or how it got into the tank. I would say it was about half dollar size. I told them what it was and that it wasn’t photosynthetic. They evidently have a local guy that cultures phyto so they were going to talk to him. I left it at the shop so try giving them a call see if they will ship to you. Name of shop was fins and friends in Waite park mn

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your anywhere near St. Cloud mn they had a small grayish blue tunicates in their shop connected to a clam shell I saw today. When I asked how much they wanted for it, neither employee even knew what it was or how it got into the tank. I would say it was about half dollar size. I told them what it was and that it wasn’t photosynthetic. They evidently have a local guy that cultures phyto so they were going to talk to him. I left it at the shop so try giving them a call see if they will ship to you. Name of shop was fins and friends in Waite park mn

Thanks @Ratsinmyhead ! I saw a nice blue one at BlueZooAquatics recently, but it went quickly.

Last edited:

soflmuddin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact phil at kp aquatics (in fl keys) and he should be able to get you some. I see them all the time when I dive. I personally haven't had a problem keeping the ones from the keys. I've had a couple of orange ones for close to 2 years.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back